CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Any fellow herpers?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
Nanci
When you get bit by a venomous snake, whether it is a legal captive or a wild snake, it just makes people hate and fear snakes more. And makes it harder to keep them legally. And makes people feel like killing them.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
sdavis2
Well I haven't been bit or even close. And it's not like id go on the news and broadcast it. I live in central NC where like I said we pretty much only have copperheads as far as venomous, hardly deadly and I live 3 miles from a hospital. I'm fully aware of how dangerous it is and show them full respect.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
sdavis2
Nanci, again yes I know it is dangerous and obviously I know there's fatal snake bites. You aren't teaching me anything. I also go swimming and swim in the open ocean. Drowning and shark bite stats won't stop me from doing thateither. Guess what? Posting car crash deaths(more more common than snake bite deaths) won't stop me from driving! And again most snake bites are deadly when you don't get quick treatment. I live 3 miles from a hospital and never go for a dangerous one alone. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Nanci
The problem with your analogies are they aren't equivalent. You'd have to be swimming in the ocean at dusk with a bloody fish tied to your waist, or drunk driving the wrong way down the interstate.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
sdavis2
Just failing to see why you take my personal choice of gently handling a snake so personal.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis2 View Post
Just failing to see why you take my personal choice of gently handling a snake so personal.
As an avid field herper for over 20 years (just stare at my icon under my name and figure out what that is), no sugar-coating here, free-handling venomous like that is highly irresponsible not only for yourself but for your fellow herpers. Blatant stupidity like that is what results in fear-mongering, ignorant legislatures enacting rules and regulations with little to no scientific backing (aka knee jerk). Nanci also works within the medical field and I'd gather possibly has some first hand experience in dealing with the unfortunate event of being tagged, whether purposeful or incidentally.

We had a Physician's Assistant (PA, basically a doctor without an MD) out at Snake Days this year presenting on snake bites. The demographic is 18-25 years old, white, male, and more often than not alcohol is involved.

You mentioned there's just copperheads in Apex, you also have cottonmouths, and all around you including to the coastline you also have timber rattlers - this is just per iNaturalist.org and not field guides, you should have other hots per field guides if I recall correctly. Though the Agkistrodon venom might not screw you up other than in pain, it still could should you have an allergic reaction. You won't know unless you're bitten. If you do have an allergic reaction, you could face needing a fasciotomy, where you'll have a wicked scar and potentially muscle/nerve damage. Worst case, they amputate the limp.

WARNING: Images not for the faint of heart!
http://www.herpnation.com/2012/04/07...r-rattlesnake/
https://www.google.com/search?q=fasc...UIBigB#imgrc=_

Basically, it's irresponsible and just not cool to free handle hots. There's no need to.

That said, I'm all game for talking field herping. I love it and sorely miss it as my outings have strongly tapered off since 2010.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #18
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis2 View Post
I don't care if you die from handling a venomous snake, but I _do_ care about how every single bite fuels snake haters and affects snake legislation.

Example from today at work. I had a patient named Orianna. I was excited- Hey, did you know there's a society named after you? The Orianne Society. I pull up the webpage, where it talks about preserving reptiles and amphibians, particularly indigo snakes. The patient's father goes off on a rant about how he kills all snakes, because his father was (he said killed, but at that point I wasn't listening clearly) bitten by a rattlesnake, so all snakes must pay. And he's raising his children to think that way, too.

Plus, lots of people browse this forum. Kids. Kids who might read your post and think they could _safely_ free-handle a venomous snake. Hey, they read about a guy on cornsnakes.com who does it, and he's still alive and never got bitten!

I know you don't care about my opinion, but since you love venomous snakes (don't we all...) I'm sure you're well aware that the first rule of venomous snake keeping is you _never_ touch the snake with your hands. If people with hundreds of thousands of hours of working with venomous can still get bitten accidentally, what makes you so certain that you can free handle safely?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
DLena
Amen, Nanci.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #20
Nanci
Hey you know what else...I'm not sure what the regulations are in NC, but here in FL, it's illegal to touch a venomous snake (unless you have a permit). Like, I can't legally go to my friend's house and capture the coral snake living in their garage and relocate it. I can't take a hook and arrange a rattlesnake for a nice photo. I'm sure such things go on, but people sure don't talk about it on the internet where anyone, like wildlife officers, can read it.

Not a joke. I know a person, who used to post here all the time, who brought home a WC snake that her kid really liked, that they had found out road cruising. Wildlife officials found out about it, either from reading it themselves of from someone trying to get her in trouble, and she got charged, and had to go to court. She didn't even _know_ she wasn't supposed to have it!

So just- be careful. THat's all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google