CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

I moved and got a new neighbor
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
but a cottonmouth can kill you a copperhead couldnt. I know these things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewby07 View Post
Actually both CAN kill you....if you are allergic or go into shock. Heck, a bee sting can kill you...if you're allergic.

I'm pretty sure the two are similar in their potency...death from either of their bites being rare.
I agree with Drew on this one. Anything CAN kill you, so it's not good to go off spouting "facts". Where did you learn that, might I ask, that you are so sure of that answer?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
tyflier
Quote:
but a cottonmouth can kill you a copperhead couldnt. I know these things
Neither one are considered deadly, but BOTH *can* kill depending on a number of factors...bite location, proximity to health care, availability of antivenom, allergic reaction of victim...many factors determine whether or not a snake bite is deadly.

Heck...a Western Diamondback is not considered "deadly". A Norther Pacific is not considered "deadly". I wouldn't want to take a hit from either one.

The bottom line is your information may be moderately accurate...a cottonmouth may be slightly more toxic than a copperhead. But both are highly venomous animals cappable of inflicting incredibly devestating bites that can destroy tissue and muscle in a matter of minutes.

"A copper has less danger"...what does that have to do with anything in the topic? Does that mean a copperhead bite is something that can go untreated? A copperhead is "harmless" compared to a cottonmouth? What precisely, are you trying to convey with a message like that?

I don't mean to give you a hardtime, "snakemaster", but you seem to be regurgitating "facts" you read in a book that you hardly comprehend yourself. Perhaps a bit more practical experience and a bit less internet surfing would be beneficial in your "mastery" of all things snake...

Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Drewby07
Tyflier -

After a little reading, it seems "snakemaster24" is just back from being banned for a month....which I guess explains a lot.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Carinata
There are NO RECORDED FATALITYS DUE TO COPPERHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! The venom is to weak. Sock wouldnt be the venom but the trauma of the bite and an allergic reaction would only place if you were allergic to the serum the give you at the hospital

Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Drewby07
Quote:
Sock wouldnt be the venom but the trauma of the bite and an allergic reaction would only place if you were allergic to the serum the give you at the hospital
uhm...what?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewby07 View Post
Tyflier -

After a little reading, it seems "snakemaster24" is just back from being banned for a month....which I guess explains a lot.
Yea...I've dealt with him in the past. He was getting very snotty in another thread, and I called him out. He sent me a long private message asking why I yelled at him, and he was just trying to "educate everyone" and whatnot...

For some reason, our young "snakemaster" has convinced himself that he knows more about snakes than everyone else on the forum. He will either learn...or move on.

What young "snakemaster" doesn't realize is that a LOT of us have snakes that are older than him, and some of us have been field studying snakes on a semi-professional level for a number of years. But still...he is convinced that he is going to "educate" us all.

Like I said...he'll either learn...or leave. Either way...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Carinata
Its called a fact and they come in books. I have worked closley with a hot owner he was tagged in the palm by a copper and said all he felt was pain and swelling

Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Carinata
I have worked with snakes whe I was 4 and my grandmother was a wildlife rehaber I own a reptile education business and work at a zoo

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #19
tyflier
Quote:
There are NO RECORDED FATALITYS DUE TO COPPERHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! The venom is to weak. Sock wouldnt be the venom but the trauma of the bite and an allergic reaction would only place if you were allergic to the serum the give you at the hospital
There has NEVER been a recorded fatality from a Fierce Snake bite either...would you call it harmless? No...because they can kill with only one fang, their venom is so toxic.

Guess what?? There are only a very few recorded cases of death by cottonmouth bite, and ALL of them are attributed to a lack of medical care.

Guess what else?? There are no recorded cases of a fatality from a Boomslang, yet it's venom is an INCREDIBLY toxic solution.

Wanna know something else?? The fact that there is no recorded fatalities from a particular species bite has very little to do with it's toxicity. There are MANY components that decide whether a person will die from a snake bite or not. ONE of those is venom toxicity.

Here's an interesting FACT for you...Lyresnakes are a "harmless", mildly venomous, rear-fanged North American colubrid. A small snake with a poor venom delivery and only mildly toxic venom. A few years ago, a young man went out, caught one, got bit...and DIED. You know why? Not only did he have an anaphylactic reaction, he was also highly sensitive to the venom. The shock would not have killed him alone. The venom would not have killed him alone. The combination of anaphylaxis AND allergic reaction the venom killed him.

Stop being so arrogant. Put down the book, step away from the computer, and go get some real experience with these animals, instead of regurgitating facts and figures from a book...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
Drewby07
Snakemaster - I'm sure you have lots of experience and a thriving business.

None of that, however, changes the fact that what you are saying is NOT A FACT, even though you are stating it as such. Just because there is no record of a death as a result of a copperhead bite, doesn't mean that it is impossible, or that it hasn't happened.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread