CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

I moved and got a new neighbor
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Carinata
Whoa way to think. But I hate to tell you the reason they found the boomslang was venomouse was when someone died from one!!!!!!!!!!
Link time!!!!!
http://www.answers.com/topic/boomslang Proves death in boomslang
I do belive that the feeirce snake was deadly
And a lyre snake never killed anyone on record

Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #22
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
Its called a fact and they come in books. I have worked closley with a hot owner he was tagged in the palm by a copper and said all he felt was pain and swelling
That's a great way to gain experience. I read, too. But I don't try to pass off one experience that I witnessed as my own experience. And I don't pass off someone else's writing as my own knowledge.

The bottom line is really quite simple...you *might* be right that cottonmouths are more toxic than copperheads. OK. I don't know for sure, but I will grant you that it *could* be true. So what? It had no place in this topic. It didn't add anything to the topic. And for you to state it as though copperheads were not dangerous is irresponsible. Copperheads are dangerous and they DO have the ability to kill, whether or not that FACT is found in your book.

Quote:
I have worked with snakes whe I was 4 and my grandmother was a wildlife rehaber I own a reptile education business and work at a zoo
My daughter has been working with snakes since she was 2. My girlfriend owns a turtle and tortoise rehab clinic. I am one of the people that the lcoal vet hospital calls when they get in exotics. In my family there are 4 vet techs, 2 licensed wildlife rehabbers, and a CA propogation permit. None of that makes my daughter an expert...much like your friends and family's experience is not YOUR experience.

On the converse, I myself have been playing with wild snakes since I was about 7 or 8. Shoot to make the math easy, let's call it 10. I'm 35 now. That means I've been in the field longer than you've been alive. MOST of my experience is limited, and precursory, and I readily admit that. Over the last year I have made a SOLID effort to work closely with clinical and field herpetologists in the study of animals in my area. It STILL doesn't make me an "expert", as I know I've a LOT to learn. But I am mature enough to admit I have a lot to learn, and to accept when I am wrong, and to be humble in my facts and opinions. You, on the other hand...you may know some fancy toxicity rating for a copperhead, but you haven't learned how to be polite yet. Sad, really...

I told you before...I don't care about what your family knows...I care about your attitude. You might have some information that could be valuable to people here. But NOBODY is gonna listen to a snot-nosed 14 year old kid talk down to them. No one should HAVE to listen to a 14 year old kid talk as if he is the only person with any knowledge. there are A LOT of people on this forum with YEARS more experience than you. Probably more experience than your family, too. So drop the attitude. We don't need it...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
tyflier
Quote:
Wrong. It happened in LA county just a few years ago. BECAUSE of the death of this young man, LA County now has regulations in place forbidding the collection and keeping of Lyresnakes.

Facts are only good when they are current...

And I know how to google, too...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
tyflier
Quote:
Whoa way to think. But I hate to tell you the reason they found the boomslang was venomouse was when someone died from one!!!!!!!!!!
Link time!!!!!
http://www.answers.com/topic/boomslang Proves death in boomslang
I do belive that the feeirce snake was deadly
This attitude is everything. I don't care what you know, and what facts you are able to google up in a matter of minutes. It doesn't matter to me.

Your "business" isn't going to go very far if you don't learn a little humility and respect for others. Personally...I couldn't care less how much information you have at your fingertips. I still don't respect you, I won't listen to you, and I will never, ever take anything you say with anything less than a passing glance. Wanna know why? Because you have no respect for anyone.

Quite frankly, if you don't drop your attitude, you WILL lose your "business". And as it stands, that would be incredibly amusing to me...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #25
Carinata
Tortises huh wow they are just like snakes except for a shell and legs and oh the dont eat rodents. I work at the zoo with the LARGEST collections of hot on the east coast. I dont care what you daughter does iv seen the pics ok she caught a bullsnake. I TAUGHT MY ONE YEAR OLD HALF BROTHER HPOW TO IDENTIFY A HOT

Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #26
tyflier
Quote:
Tortises huh wow they are just like snakes except for a shell and legs and oh the dont eat rodents. I work at the zoo with the LARGEST collections of hot on the east coast. I dont care what you daughter does iv seen the pics ok she caught a bullsnake. I TAUGHT MY ONE YEAR OLD HALF BROTHER HPOW TO IDENTIFY A HOT
Wow...you amaze me. First of all...a 1 year old child can't "learn" how to ID a venomous snake. That's justa ludicrous statement.

Uhh...you're 14. You CAN'T work in the hot room at a zoo, unless your family OWNS the zoo. Period. And if your family owns the largest hot collection on the east coast and they allow you to work closely with those animals, than...that says alot about THEIR experience and skills, too.

Liability insurance simply would not allow it. You might walk PAST the largest hot room on the east coast, but you certainly are NOT an active and insured employee at ANY public hot room.

I shoveled poop from pens at a zoo when I was a kid too. And I stuck around long enough to become a supervisor for African Animals. Was even there to help birth a litter of lion cubs, introduce a pair of black rhinos to be the first successful mating pair in captivity, and helped birth more african mammals than I can keep track of including giraffes, hippos, Kudu, wild dogs, and hyenas. But none of that makes me an expert on any of those animals. And my "pooper scooper" days as a youngster didn't do anything except put my foot in the door.

I've worked with wildlife rehabilitation centers all over the country, too. NY, AZ, CA being the top three. I've worked with and rehabbed everything from rattlesnakes to bald eagles. I've worked closely with the vets, and had hands on experience with the capture and realease of hundreds of injured and wild animals. Doesn't make me an expert on any of them.

Take a step back, realize that you DON'T know everything, and you have a LOT to learn, and you just might find yourself coming up against a lot less flak from people...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
Carinata
I know i dont know everything but wait a sec mammals have NOTING to do with reptiles. I dont work in the hot romm but I know that I have talked to the owner and he showed me alot of things. I manage the 5'5 foot monitor and the petting zoo

Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
tyflier
Quote:
I know i dont know everything but wait a sec mammals have NOTING to do with reptiles. I dont work in the hot romm but I know that I have talked to the owner and he showed me alot of things. I manage the 5'5 foot monitor and the petting zoo
Mammals has as much to do with knowing everything about snakes as the petting zoo does.

I'm NOT trying to point out how much knowledge I have. I'm pointing out to YOU that YOU have very little actual life experience with ANY of these animals.

Talking to a zoo keeper about hots is NOT the same as working in a hot room. Talking to your grandmother about wildlife rehab is NOT the same as working with a rehab clinic. Reading a piece of text and quoting it online is NOT the same as feld study of copperheads and cottonmouths.

If you would just realize that I am trying to HELP you...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #29
Carinata
Man gettin a point across to you is like beating a dead horse you post unfactual info.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
Drewby07
irony? party of one?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread