CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My future display

Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #31
raynefyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay@PJCReptiles View Post
Hi Rayne, I like both of these ideas as they seem very functional. You have some great display areas as well as having room to keep babies in smaller bins and space to store other necessities.

You can tell that you put a lot of thought and time into your idea. I have a couple of suggestions you might want to use. First, if you are planning on using some kind of substrate in the display vivs you might want to install some kind of "bib" or "lip" at the bottom fronts of all of them to ensure the substrate will stay in the viv and not fall onto your floor.
Second, you might want to use some sort of PVC board such as Versatex. This product is ammune to water and is very easy to use. Melamine is good but this is a little better product as it will last longer and have no issues with humidity/water whatsoever. It is made of recycled plastic and is non-porous. Again, these are just suggestions. I really like your design and would be more then happy to have one or two sitting in my living room displaying some of my own "personal choice" animals. One other question I have, what program did you use to design your idea? Once again, great job.

Jay
Thanks for all the nice comments!! Everyone's helping so much it's amazing.

I was planning on using a lip for the bases of the cages, I think I'm gonna need to do a section drawing.

Also THANK YOU SO MUCH!! for telling me what the plastic/pvc sheet stuff is!! I keep being told to use it but I couldn't find it or even a name for it. You're awesome!! Lol.

Third I use the program AutoCAD 2009 for all my drawings and designs. It's pretty easy to use once you figure out how the program works and the commands. If you're interested I could hook you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
5'9 is starting to get tall. Watch how high up you have a display cage. You might wanna invest in a good Wet/dry vac and step stool. But I love the layout......
I'm 6' tall so I don't see this as being a problem, but yeah I can see what you mean. Lol.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #32
raynefyre
Ok, here's some more drawings of the design.. I'm using 1/2" material.

I cut through the center of the design to show how it looks this way with the doors and stuff. The next one is zoomed in on a single display case, with the latch and hinge drawn in.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...d1beb3070d.jpg

Still working out the details, but eventually I will get to a cut list and drawing instructions. Lol.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #33
raynefyre

Second try at the second pic...

Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #34
Asbit
I really love the idea of incorporating the hatchling rack in the first drawing...my snake room will most likely be a basement living room we use as a play room at this time...so things need to look nice.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #35
Buzzard
I like the lips. Very nice.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #36
raynefyre
Okay, I switched over from using AutoCAD 2009 to Google Sketchup (which if free to anyone who wants it fyi) to render it as a solid piece of furniture. I want it to be black with a white inside for the displays so they pop out at you (an idea given to me by a friend). The clear display windows are tinted blue just so you can see them there. I'll get a cut list and stuff going once I have time.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #37
Iceman00
Great plan and design. I built a viv using many ideas and suggestions from the DIY posts. For heating I used an UTH directly attached to the smooth side of a ceramic tile then I used the grommets the UTH came with to raise the tile and sealed around it. I can't remember where or who's idea but it works great. You can also use Flex Watt heat tape or Flexible heat ropes. All would require a thermostat.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #38
raynefyre
More pictures.

For Asbit. I redrew the first design concept in 3D.

And just because I got excited and carried away. Made a huge entertainment center style one with a wood finish.

Ideas and comments are all still welcome! I'm just messing around with my design program until I find something I absolutely fall in love with. Peace.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #39
Asbit
Hey thanks for the extra renderings...love the look of the entertainment one, would need to scrap the doors on the upper middle section where the TV would be. Then for the side sections could you do the doors so they recessed on a slider in along the outer wall of those compartments? What kind of dimensions did you give it? I really have to kick my son in gear as he still has done nothing to render me any designs yet!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #40
raynefyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbit View Post
Hey thanks for the extra renderings...love the look of the entertainment one, would need to scrap the doors on the upper middle section where the TV would be. Then for the side sections could you do the doors so they recessed on a slider in along the outer wall of those compartments? What kind of dimensions did you give it? I really have to kick my son in gear as he still has done nothing to render me any designs yet!
Right now the entertainment center style model is 6'2" tall x 8'1" long and 1'6" deep. The bottom cages are 36" long x 18" tall x 18" deep. The outer cages on the top level are 18" long x 36" tall x 18" deep. I wanted to make vertical cages for arboreal species. The large center cage on top is 3'11" long x 36" tall x 18" deep. I wanted to provide a very large tank for a massive pet, possibly for my fiance's future frilled dragon. The cubbyholes are set within a 18" long x 36" tall x 18" deep region. Each hole is 11.25" long x 8.5" tall x 18" deep. These I planned for housing multiple babies per cube or possibly larger yearling containers.

I was thinking about framing the glass (?) doors with wood to make them look cleaner and more refined. I also might put in a middle strip in between the two center doors of the large upper cage too for support. I don't think I would ever put a TV near my snakes, too many vibrations with how loud I play my music. Lol. I thought about adding recessive sliders to all (?) the cage doors as well, just not quite sure yet how that would work. It would definitely get rid of cumbersome doors while cleaning though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google