CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Shooting iguanas in Florida?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Rich Z
Shooting iguanas in Florida?

I do get a chuckle (in a gallows humor sort of way) hearing the most destructive invasive species on the planet calling another species "invasive".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7NjBKUiKqs

Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Twolunger
If I want something that tastes like chicken I think I'll cook a chicken. At least some people are using the harvested reptiles for meat and skins, rather than just throwing them out. I'm not running out to buy a blow gun though.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Rich Z
Just a yahoo with a hammer looking for a bunch of nails.

He got close enough to the iguanas that he might as well just put a noose on the end of a fishing rod.

But I guess if you are selling blowguns you have to try to generate a market "need" for them.

Besides iguanas aren't going to be much of a problem except for the old folks worried about those herbivores getting into their prize petunias.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Twolunger
The orchid growers in south Florida have a vendetta going against iguanas. There seems to be big money invested in new varieties of orchids. Some growers send new orchid varieties to China to have them cloned, believe it or not. I have not seen a green iguana in my area, but have seen several Spiny Tailed iguanas. I've found several of them dead right after a winter cold spell here. There are colonies of Tegu to the north and south of Port Charlotte, but I have yet to see any here. I know Fish & Wildlife officials are worried about the Gopher Tortoise with those big Tegu's running around.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
The orchid growers in south Florida have a vendetta going against iguanas. There seems to be big money invested in new varieties of orchids. Some growers send new orchid varieties to China to have them cloned, believe it or not. I have not seen a green iguana in my area, but have seen several Spiny Tailed iguanas. I've found several of them dead right after a winter cold spell here. There are colonies of Tegu to the north and south of Port Charlotte, but I have yet to see any here. I know Fish & Wildlife officials are worried about the Gopher Tortoise with those big Tegu's running around.
So the orchid growers (who are an non-native species themselves) are growing non-native orchids and concerned about non-native iguanas damaging them? Anyone else see the irony in this?

Now tegus, yeah, I can see where they may play hell on gopher tortoise eggs and the young tortoises much less any other native (if there is any still remaining) wildlife they can subdue and eat. Now, of course, if the tegus wind up becoming a problem for real estate sales and land development, I'm sure then that their days in Florida would be numbered.

That is what impacted the gopher tortoises negatively more than anything else. They just so happen to prefer the same high and dry land that land developers prize so much. And we all know who wins in a tug of war of that nature.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Twolunger
i think Fish & Wildlife officials are more concerned with the 99 species of native Florida orchids than they are with the tropical orchids grown by many. However, it is said that tropical orchid retail sales generate 100 million in revenue in Florida, so it's open season on the poor iguana.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Rich Z
Yeah, push come to shove, it seems to always come down to $$.

I can remember a long while back when congress was amending the endangered species act such that any animal or species being considered for inclusion on the list would have this determination based on their VALUE to the human species.

Now if aliens decided they wanted this planet and based their wants on the same sort of criteria of what is most valuable to them, wouldn't WE be pissed?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google