CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Belated Introduction

Old 04-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
CornNut
Belated Introduction

Hello,
I joined this site over a year ago, but apparently dropped off the earth for a while (my last login was January 2016! That was a rough year all around I'm glad it's done)

So... Although I have always been intrigued by and drawn to snakes, Cornelius is the I've ever owned. My husband is not a snake lover, but our kids convinced him to welcome one into the family. (Shocked me! When I first brought up the topic, before we married, his exact words were "I will not sleep in the same house as a snake.") He has never yet held Cornelius, but he asks about him, checks in on him, and talks to him from outside his vivarium.

I am sorry (deeply ashamed) to say that Cornelius did not get the best care for his first two years with us. No excuses - it's my responsibility (even if my son thought this was 'his' snake) - but it was due to a combination of factors. However, small he may be, but he is also resilient and very good natured. A few weeks ago, we moved his vivarium from my son's bedroom to our living room. Although this room is harder to heat, the central location makes it much easier to check on him. He is now getting more regular/frequent feedings, as well as being handled more often. I have been told by the staff at the East Bay Vivarium that he is not doomed to be small forever, but will catch up.

This morning, Cornelius came out and was lounging contentedly at the front of his viv - practically begging for a photo, which I am attaching now

~Demeter
(AKA CornNut - which was my Girl Scout Camp Name long before we had a corn snake, but perhaps it was prophetic!)

Old 04-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Twolunger
I can't tell much about his size from the picture, so if you could weigh him and tell us his age we could give you some advice about his growth. He looks healthy in the picture, and I assume he has been shedding well. What size mice is he now eating? It appears that you are providing heat from a heat lamp, as the substrate seems thick. If you don't use an undertank heat pad, you may want to buy one. Heat lamps dry out the tank and have caused damage to the scales of snakes. If you do buy an undertank heat pad you don't want the substrate too thick. Some keepers put a snake hide over thinner substrate just above the heat pad.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:53 AM   #3
CornNut
Thanks so much for the information. He has been shedding well - especially last time, all one piece, including the eyeball scales. We do have an overhead lamp for heat but also the heater on the side of his vivarium. Under the tank heaters make me nervous with all their warnings about fires. He has a pretty large water bowl, which keeps the humidity in the tank around 50-60%. I did not realize the substrate could get too dry. I will make sure to refresh it regularly. I hesitate to put in less, because he really loves burrowing in and around it, although he has plenty of hides too, which he also uses. This evening he was hanging out on his artificial bush. I have 2 digital thermometers, one at each end, each with a probe in the substrate. The humidity measuring thing is in the middle, and it also measures temperature, so I have 3 measures of temp. We are still working on the best way to control the heat - we have a 120 year old house, with high ceilings. We all freeze in winter! I've been exploring options for a wooden box. But those also use lamps (or possibly ceramic heaters) so I am still exploring and researching.

He is currently eating f/t mouse fuzzies. Recently, I gave him 2 double meals (made sure the first fuzzy was all the way down into his stomach before offering the second one) but then I was told that is unhealthy because his stomach stretches in width, not length, which makes sense. After that second double meal he had the most enourmous poop I ever saw from him (at first we thought a slug had invaded his Vivarium!) - and he looked visibly thinner. He actually weighed 10 grams less too. So, his last meal was only 1 fuzzy, and I'm planning to feed him every 5 days for a while. I've also been advised to offer him rat pinkies, because of the thicker bones. I really think he is too small to offer bigger meals for now. They go down easy, he consumes them in about 3 minutes (from first strike to meal down in his stomach) but the lump is easily visible. His little head is so tiny too...

Right now, post monster poop, he is only 40 grams. I haven't been able to get an accurate length of him, but I think he is at least 25 inches long.

He has been active today (I got a detailed report from my husband husband, who seems to enjoy watching him, despite moving away when I'm holding him, lol)

He seems pretty happy in his new location. He doesn't slither away when I pick him up. When I'm holding him, he seems to enjoy a bit of exploration, then usually heads up my sleeve (then I am super careful about how I move) or down my top. Right now, he is hanging out in my sleeve.

So, thanks again for the info. I'm trying to gather all I can. I am finding I need to sift through a lot because I have been running up against conflicting advice. Ultimately, I know I need to verify facts, and make choices on what's best for him and our family.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Dragonling
Depending on its size, the heat mat on the side of the tank is probably barely contributing to the temperature of the cage. I will never understand why manufacturers recommend using them on the side. The fact that heat rises seems lost on them. You can prop your tank up on rubber feet with an UTH if you're worried about fires.

Fuzzies every 5 days will be fine. If you have a pair of sharp scissors or a knife you don't mind having to sanitize, slitting just the skin across the back or down the spine will help him digest more thoroughly. Rat pinks are a little big right now, closer in size to hopper mice. Let him roughly double in weight before moving to hoppers or rat pinks. Don't let the size of his head intimidate you. Their lower jaws are incredibly stretchy. I just moved several of my '16s onto hoppers last night, and while the mice looked positively massive next to their little heads, none appear to be overstuffed this morning.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
CornNut
I've wondered about this side heater, lol. I think you are right, that it's not doing much. Even if the glue were not lame on one corner that always seems to peel off. (I've added tape). I will do some research on good under tank heaters and use the rubber feet to lift the tank a bit.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Schumway
The under tank heaters work but peel too

Old 04-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Schumway
Just hi

Am a newbie..! Our family has a beautiful 18 month old blood red corn snake. He is lovely an sweet. Very gentle.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
CornNut
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumway View Post
Am a newbie..! Our family has a beautiful 18 month old blood red corn snake. He is lovely an sweet. Very gentle.
Hi to you too! That's a lovely color/morph! Most of all, I love how gentle corn snakes are :-)

You must have more heating/temp issues than I do - the Maritime provinces get so cold! Brrrr.... Even though Alameda is coastal, the Bay and San Francisco protect us from the worst of the weather coming in from the Pacific.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google