• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Genes

GRIMJIM

Hi all.
I've been reading about genetics today. I'm half understanding it but it's rather confusing.
It got me wondering what genes my own snake could be carrying.
She is an anery, ‎ I know that her dad was an anery and I think her mum was an albino. But obviously I don't know what genes they were carrying either.
‎ I don't know if I would ever breed her in the future but I thought it would be interesting to put her against other morphs on the corn calculator but I don't understand it and obviously I don't know what genes she's carrying.
‎ I don't really know what I'm asking here to be honest, but any inputs appreciated.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

If the mom was an amel, then your snake is heterozygous for amelanism.

The most common hidden hets for a corn snake to carry are: hypo, amel, anery, or motley. To find out about any hidden genes, you'd have to test breed against a snake that is carrying those genes for sure.

If the mom was an amel, then your snake is heterozygous for amelanism.

The most common hidden hets for a corn snake to carry are: hypo, amel, anery, or motley. To find out about any hidden genes, you'd have to test breed against a snake that is carrying those genes for sure.
Ok thanks. So if for instance I bred her with a normal that was also het for amel, some of the hatchlings would be amel?

Ok thanks. So if for instance I bred her with a normal that was also het for amel, some of the hatchlings would be amel?

"Could possibly be Amel" is the more accurate outcome. Every egg has a 25% chance of being Amel. So in a clutch of 4 eggs you could get all Normals Het for Anery PH or Het Amel or anywhere from 1 to 4 Amels Het Anery.

Terri

"Could possibly be Amel" is the more accurate outcome. Every egg has a 25% chance of being Amel. So in a clutch of 4 eggs you could get all Normals Het for Anery PH or Het Amel or anywhere from 1 to 4 Amels Het Anery.

Terri
Ok. I think I'm getting it now. Cheers

As an example, I bred an anery to a ghost. The ghost laid 15 eggs. Of those 15, a single snow popped out, showing both parents were actually het amel. In an ideal world I would have had 3 or 4 snows but real life has randomness and that's how I ended up with just 1.

As an example, I bred an anery to a ghost. The ghost laid 15 eggs. Of those 15, a single snow popped out, showing both parents were actually het amel. In an ideal world I would have had 3 or 4 snows but real life has randomness and that's how I ended up with just 1.
Oh ok. So het amel + het amel = ghost, not amel

Snow sorry not ghost

Sorry. Ghost is hypo+anery, and when bred to another anery based animal ALL the babies will be anery based. If you add amel (removes black pigment) to anery (removes red pigment) you end up with a snow (white snake because it lacks black and red).

The part that relates to you is that I bred a snake that was het amel to another snake that was het amel and out of 15 eggs only got one baby that was visually an amel which shows that the 25% truly is *per egg* rather than per the whole.

Sorry. Ghost is hypo+anery, and when bred to another anery based animal ALL the babies will be anery based. If you add amel (removes black pigment) to anery (removes red pigment) you end up with a snow (white snake because it lacks black and red).

The part that relates to you is that I bred a snake that was het amel to another snake that was het amel and out of 15 eggs only got one baby that was visually an amel which shows that the 25% truly is *per egg* rather than per the whole.
[emoji1360]

So let's see if I've got this right...

My corn is an anery
Her dad was an anery
Her mum was an amel
So that means she would HAVE TO be an anery het amel?
Now the fact that she is an anery suggests that her mum must of been an amel het anery?
So there's a chance her Dad could also have been het for something (e.g motley)
Meaning that my anery corn would also have the slight chance (about 25%) of also being het for the same thing (E.g motley)

Making my snake
anery het amel 50% poss het motley ??
(for example)

Basically correct. Any unknown hets that her parents had, she has a 50% chance of having as well.

Basically correct. Any unknown hets that her parents had, she has a 50% chance of having as well.
Cool cheers.
It's been a lot to wrap my head around lol, but I think it's starting to make sense now

Back