CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How Can I Make Corn More Comfortable?

Old 03-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
maausen
How Can I Make Corn More Comfortable?

A week in a half ago I got a 4 year old male corn. So far everything is great. He has eaten and shed for me. But after shedding yesterday, he has been roaming the cage like crazy and won't even stop to go into his hides. Is this normal? Or is there something making him uncomfortable? I have a feeling he feels he needs to escape the cage.

My setup: Two black RBI hides on both sides of tank. Cool side temps are 78-80F and my warm is 83-84F

Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
DandelionDeity
From what I know it just be that it's breeding season

Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
maausen
Thank you!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
pretends2bnormal
If he shed for you in only 1.5 weeks, then he has been in the process pretty much the whole time you've had him, even if it wasn't visible to you.

You may just be seeing him exploring his new enclosure fully for the first time since he probably didn't have great vision through the shed. Since the temps sound good, I'd just give him a few extra days post-shed to settle in before being concerned (maybe more since I've heard adults can take longer to adjust to new homes).

Depending a bit on your setup, glass vs tub vs pvc, he may appreciate some extra "stuff" like cork bark, rocks, sticks or those fake plastic plants, but that may just end up being more things for him to be out and about exploring. If you are really antsy to do something, any of those could be a bit of enrichment for him to explore. I don't think it would matter much one way or another this early, though. He's probably just still getting used to the new cage. Just keep up the good work with temps and be sure he won't find a way to escape.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 03-25-2018, 02:48 AM   #5
maausen
Smile

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by maausen View Post
............ Or is there something making him uncomfortable? I have a feeling he feels he needs to escape the cage.

My setup: Two black RBI hides on both sides of tank. Cool side temps are 78-80F and my warm is 83-84F
Snakes are escape artists. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of folks here who at one time or another went to the cage to retrieve their snake only to discover it gone.

So yes, your snake wants to escape. They all do.

Having said that, they can still be comfortable as long as we (the owners) provide correct temps, fresh water, proper humidity, hiding places, clean cages, and proper feeding. But if they can find a way out....... they will.

There are reasons they become more active or less active at times.

They generally hide a lot before and during a shed. The shed process can last several weeks. If the temps are too cold or too warm, they may look for a more comfortable spot. This may look like "roaming" but they do roam for a reason. Or mating season. Males especially go sort of crazy this time of year. My male stops eating (he hasn't eaten now in over 4 weeks) and he roams constantly. He's looking for a mate. Eventually this will pass. And if you place them in a strange or new location, they may seem to be roaming but they are "Exploring." Corn snakes love to explore.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
maausen
Yes, he seems to just enjoy being out. I am used to ball pythons and never seeing them.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by maausen View Post
Yes, he seems to just enjoy being out. I am used to ball pythons and never seeing them.

Try putting a few branches and fake foliage in the viv and the Royals will
spend the evenings climbing and exploring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google