CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Finally eating! Ball python

Old 06-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
dionythicus
Finally eating! Ball python

I just have to express how happy I am that my ball python baby has finally eaten. I've had it for a month and tried almost everything. I tried lizard scented, I even bought an anole that I froze and thawed. I was really thinking the lizard scenting or a whole small anole would have done it. I even tried the dark coloured fuzzy like someone suggested. Today I broke down and bought a live large pinky (they're so much like tiny puppies at that stage that I hate to do it, and they scream) and that did the trick. The python was pretty weak and didn't do a good coil, so it took forever for the pink to stop moving and it wasn't completely dead when the python started eating, but I know that nature is cruel sometimes. It will have to be live pinks for a while. I can deal with that.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
cka
congrats Di!...Hows your set up for him?...With b.p.s, especially young ones, a small tight hide that they can squeeze into and feel all around them goes a long way in making them feel secure and comfortable :*)

Old 06-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
TBurkeIII
yeah hides i feel are even more important with balls than with corns at times, i have quite a few balls that take long breaks from eating. i dont know why, but they will eat for on month than stop for a month. make sure when they are in the feeding "stage" if you have a picky ball you feed them as much as you can during that time. and be prepared to continue with the live food now. more likely than not it will not go back to any frozen stuff. you may get lucky though. good luck!

Old 06-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
hediki
cool u must feel good.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
dionythicus
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll make sure the snake has a more secure feeling hide. I was so convinced the lizard thing was the answer that I almost didn't bother with live. Fortunately there are a few pet stores nearby that breed mice and rats strictly to sell the pinks and fuzzies to sell. So there are always live ones to get my hands on.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
cka
if he's taking live try him on rat pinks if you are able...they are just a bit bigger and are somewhat more nutritious...Keep it up; once you get him secure and eating he'll take off, no worries :*)

Old 06-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
dionythicus
Will do, thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google