CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bad Shed or Something Worse

Old 01-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #1
Clemthealbino
Bad Shed or Something Worse

Hi guys, first time posting here!
I’m a proud snake mama to a pretty albino corn named Clem. Clem is about 5 months old now and has had no problems whatsoever until now. She just shed about 2 weeks ago and it was the first shed I noticed her ever having an issue with. Weirdly enough the top of her shed came off clean in one piece but her underbelly was just not wanting to come off. So I let her soak each day for about 15 minutes and after 2-3 days it finally all came off. Today when I went to clean out her tank I am noticed her underbelly is not smooth and shiny anymore but instead dry and rough. The scales aren’t flaking off and theres no blistering or cracking either, it’s just really dry. It doesn’t look like scale rot but I could be totally wrong. I’m inserting a picture so you can hopefully get an idea. She still has some shiney-ness on some parts of her belly but most of them are completely mattified and rough now compared to the top of her which is smooth and shiney like normal.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Clemthealbino
Also wanted to add- she has no issues with eating, I feed her one pinky a week.
She has a heating mat which I monitor with a thermostat and she currently has eco earth substrate!

Old 01-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #3
Rich Z
The heating mat isn't underneath the entire cage, is it? She can get off the heat if she wants to?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
Clemthealbino
It is under her cage but the mat only is on one side, so she has plenty of area to go to if she doesn’t want to be on the heat plus there is a pretty thick layer of eco earth but she could have easily crawled deep down and got herself burned. I have never seen any blistering or irritation on her underbelly whatsoever though and she still loves being held so it doesn’t seem like she was in pain which I feel like a burn would cause.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
Rich Z
What about the substrate being too damp? I have seen instances of excess humidity causing problems with shedding, much like it being too dry in the cage.

How about a pic of your cage setup so we can see how you have it set up?

Old 01-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
Clemthealbino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
What about the substrate being too damp? I have seen instances of excess humidity causing problems with shedding, much like it being too dry in the cage.

How about a pic of your cage setup so we can see how you have it set up?
So sorry for the late response I ended up just taking my snake to the vet, Who said that it does look to be the beginning stage of scale rot. I am now treating her with iodine soaks so hopefully everything will clear up In the following weeks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google