• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My 15 year supposedly male snake just laid an egg. Now what?

I found this one vet who is experienced with reptiles, if it comes down to that. https://cathospitalandbirdclinic.com

There is also a breeder in your state, Mt. Pleasant Herps. I don't know if they would be willing or able to help you (or if they're anywhere near you), but maybe you could try reaching out to them?

I found this one vet who is experienced with reptiles, if it comes down to that. https://cathospitalandbirdclinic.com

There is also a breeder in your state, Mt. Pleasant Herps. I don't know if they would be willing or able to help you (or if they're anywhere near you), but maybe you could try reaching out to them?

Thank you so much for the info! You're very helpful.
I left a message to the breeder and I'm on the fence about calling the vet place. That's a 45min drive. I can't drive. I have to figure that out etc.
Today, I tried more massaging but the eggs won't budge, plus she's never calm. She moves too much. Except when she's back in the tank with her head up and hasn't moved in hours.

Sounds like you're doing awesome, she's lucky to have you.

Thank you , I am not so sure I am doing enough. I am worried about those 3 eggs that are still stuck in her. She hasn't push them down yet and it's been days now and time is running out.
I wish I was healthier right now (and money wasn't as big of an issue)

Hope this snake is doing Ok (and the owner too) a stressful situation for the first time. I was wondering if Mt Pleasant Herps had got any advice for this owner yet or indeed assistance? I have had a little experience of sudden eggs in Corn snakes unexpectedly. And also in removing undescended eggs via massaging. the condition of being egg bound in snakes is known as dystopia. The eggs I assisted in removing were all not far from the vent. One from one snake and three from another. I used a little vaseline around the vent to afford a bit of lubrication and just firmly pressed and pushed towards the vent . in the case of the three eggs I started with the nearest one to the cloaca first and it came out with a bit of persuasion. The other two followed and were a little easier to remove. All were hardened slugs. It helped that both snakes were very calm and used to being handled. The event of unexpected eggs that are sometimes fertile without the intervention of a male and then later on hatch out is known as Parthenogenesis. This has happened twice in our collection both times with a successful outcome-In one instance I was caring for a very small Snow corn female who had always been a poor feeder, no matter how many tricks and tips I tried. She was never going to reach any reasonable size to be considered for breeding. I Keep all our snakes in isolation so no male 100% sure. One day this skinny little Snow produced 7eggs two slugs 5 viable. I incubated the 5 good ones and they hatched. 4 males 1 female and all amels. An "expert" I communicated with told me it was impossible for a parthenogenetic event to produce both sexes and a different colour he claimed they should have all been female and all snow, in other words, clones of the mother. I tried to explain that this Snow corn ( who died after the laying session) was het for amel due to her different parents ( bred by me) I had all her history and notes on parents etc. This expert still denied me and claimed I had accidentally let the snake mate. I know this never happened. Sorry for being long-winded I hope you find it interesting. I am still raising those five Parthenogenetic babies today and they are all doing well.

How's she doing?

Not too good. I finally was able to take her to the vet (after they had told me the exotic vets were booked solid for too months) I complained etc... And the vet didn't think drastic measures needed to be taken yet (aspiration, surgery). She had all the work up done and she is anemic as well as high white blood count which means she has inflammation. He gave her fluids, calcium shot and antibiotics which I started her on today. (The whole thing cost me around $400). He did want to do Xrays which were additional $260 but thought they weren't as urgent after I asked. He did say surgery would be way up there in cost, I'm thinking around $1000. Welcome to Massachusetts.
She has been hiding and not moving at all, today when I tried to grab her to give her the antibiotics shot, she actually squaled at me twice which I have never heard her do at all. I was not able to give her the full contents of the syringe because she flinched. I have experience in giving her this medication before.
She has lost so much weight even though she has eaten the two times in the past two weeks I offered her hoppers (yes she eats small rats) but with the eggs inside her shr has no room.
I can feel even the eggs have gotten small (so probably rotting) at this point I can't afford a surgery.. So I have to mentally prepare myself to say goodbye to my 15 year old companion who we share a birthday together and that is in 11 days.
I'm already heartbroken and feel helpless that I can't help her otherwise 😥

Hope this snake is doing Ok (and the owner too) a stressful situation for the first time. I was wondering if Mt Pleasant Herps had got any advice for this owner yet or indeed assistance? I have had a little experience of sudden eggs in Corn snakes unexpectedly. And also in removing undescended eggs via massaging. the condition of being egg bound in snakes is known as dystopia. The eggs I assisted in removing were all not far from the vent. One from one snake and three from another. I used a little vaseline around the vent to afford a bit of lubrication and just firmly pressed and pushed towards the vent . in the case of the three eggs I started with the nearest one to the cloaca first and it came out with a bit of persuasion. The other two followed and were a little easier to remove. All were hardened slugs. It helped that both snakes were very calm and used to being handled. The event of unexpected eggs that are sometimes fertile without the intervention of a male and then later on hatch out is known as Parthenogenesis. This has happened twice in our collection both times with a successful outcome-In one instance I was caring for a very small Snow corn female who had always been a poor feeder, no matter how many tricks and tips I tried. She was never going to reach any reasonable size to be considered for breeding. I Keep all our snakes in isolation so no male 100% sure. One day this skinny little Snow produced 7eggs two slugs 5 viable. I incubated the 5 good ones and they hatched. 4 males 1 female and all amels. An "expert" I communicated with told me it was impossible for a parthenogenetic event to produce both sexes and a different colour he claimed they should have all been female and all snow, in other words, clones of the mother. I tried to explain that this Snow corn ( who died after the laying session) was het for amel due to her different parents ( bred by me) I had all her history and notes on parents etc. This expert still denied me and claimed I had accidentally let the snake mate. I know this never happened. Sorry for being long-winded I hope you find it interesting. I am still raising those five Parthenogenetic babies today and they are all doing well.

That is amazing story.
I was able to move 3 eggs out of her the way you explained. The gentle massage. And the next day she way able to push an egg down again but got stuck and I repeated the process.. i thought there was hope... But the remaining eggs just never wanted to come down.
Also. I never knew there was a chance they could hatch. Now I wish I kept one or two that looked like good ones.
I used the flashlight and one or two had I guess a center nucleus? But did not see all red veins all around like I saw in youtube videos.
Anyway.. I know she is not feeling good and she is fighting an inflammation (because of tuck egg) and surgery is only way to save her) normally money is not an issue but with having two back to back surgeries and covid situation, barely making rent and bills..I don't want to lose her.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. If she passes, at least you know that you did everything that you reasonably could do. And 15 years is a good age for a corn snake! Hopefully she pulls through for you.

You have done as much as you can. At this late stage, surgery may not be helpful and may just create more stress for the snake. Don't worry about the vet at all. The best thing would be to make the snake comfortable turn off any vivarium lighting and keep her quiet for a while let her rest for a couple of weeks. You have to face your worst fears over the possibility of losing her. You have done everything right. No recriminations whatsoever. All of our pets and animals pass sooner or later. I hope there may be a good outcome. Best wishes for both of you.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. If she passes, at least you know that you did everything that you reasonably could do. And 15 years is a good age for a corn snake! Hopefully she pulls through for you.

Thank you!
The only sign that she is sick is her losing weight and looking anemic (and the stuck eggs of course) other than that she is her nornal active self. She is feisty and won't let me bathe her, she is keeping her routine.. Her naps.. Moving around... When I hold her, she is the same as she has always been...she is getting better at letting me give her the antibiotics. She's still eating with a giant appetite.
Last night after I fed her, a slightly larfer neal than I've been feeding her in hopes that it will moves things down then I decided to give her lay box another try, and at first she went in there but left her tail end out for the first few hours which I thought was weird (maybe the cloaca is hurting?) . Then she did get it in there and stayed in which is where she still is now.
The eggs definitely feel smaller inside her. I did not massage or anything because I did not want to cause her any stress.
I don't want to give up on her just yet, I will everything I can to try to help her.

You have done as much as you can. At this late stage, surgery may not be helpful and may just create more stress for the snake. Don't worry about the vet at all. The best thing would be to make the snake comfortable turn off any vivarium lighting and keep her quiet for a while let her rest for a couple of weeks. You have to face your worst fears over the possibility of losing her. You have done everything right. No recriminations whatsoever. All of our pets and animals pass sooner or later. I hope there may be a good outcome. Best wishes for both of you.

I know, it is very frustrating to be in a situation like this, when on thing goes wrong, everything else collapses.. That is how my life has been! And now my laptop died, i am typing from the tiny screen of my phone. Talk about not being able to afford surgery for my snake..

Question! You say to turn off any lighting and keep her quiet. She doesnt have lighting. Did you mean her heat source? I have UTH.
Also, if she is acting nornal, eating still with a gisnt appetite so to say, I cannot bring myself to do that until I see signs from her that she does feel sick and ready to go.
Am I wrong? I she in pain and I don't see it?

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Dealing with health issues of my own.
I have been feeding her adult mice and last week she pooped out what seemed to me like a calcified paste. It was actually one of the eggs because one of bumps inside her is gone.
I've been still giving her the antibiotic injections which she flinches every single time. She has one left. She has gained weight (doesn't look anemic to me anymore) but those other eggs, especially that one giant bulge is still inside her (and her stomach makes a squishy sound when gently pressed - food perhaps?)
I am debating wether I should take her back to the vet or let her continue with this process? It will be stressful for her. She will be out of antibiotics. Her last poop she got some more of the paste out but no change in egg bulge. She must be filled inside with this calcified paste from eggs.
The vet will probably recommend surgery. If she has strong appetite and gaining weight, pooped one egg out.. Are these signs enough to hope for a good outcome that she will do the same for the other eggs in time?
I know they say snakes die from egg retention but in what time frame? I read 48 hours, 1 week etc. She's at 1 1/2 months.

Well I have some more weird news!
So all the eggs were out except that last giant squishy buldge..now I know why, I think she's gravid again!!!
As I continue her antibiotics, I've been running my fingers down her body and I felt 3-4 new smaller lumps, follicles I guess? I thought she was gaining weight from eating but I was wrong.
She has been wrapping around her water bowl for days and I thought she was hot. I've been putting ice packs on top of her cage's screen and some ice cubes in her water to help with the heat when I am not home.
She looks like she is about to shed any day now. Once she does, I'll try a lay box with sphagnum moss and see what happens.
I am baffled! How is this possible. She is 15 year old snake who I thought was a male all this time, has had no contact with any other snake, laid eggs 1 1/2 ago and had to deal with stuck eggs (dystocia) up until today and now this again?
Can she really be preparing to lay eggs again?
She has been eating, rather devouring her food. I've been still feeding her smaller size than normal because of her health and the antibiotics.
Anyone has any idea what is going on?

Sounds like a second clutch. Female corns commonly double clutch. I've also experienced a female developing follicles (without being bred) and then reabsorbing them. Hopefully these ones pass a little more easily! You're doing a great job with her.

Back