CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My 15 year supposedly male snake just laid an egg. Now what?
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #31
Trimer
You have done as much as you can. At this late stage, surgery may not be helpful and may just create more stress for the snake. Don't worry about the vet at all. The best thing would be to make the snake comfortable turn off any vivarium lighting and keep her quiet for a while let her rest for a couple of weeks. You have to face your worst fears over the possibility of losing her. You have done everything right. No recriminations whatsoever. All of our pets and animals pass sooner or later. I hope there may be a good outcome. Best wishes for both of you.
 
Old 07-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #32
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. If she passes, at least you know that you did everything that you reasonably could do. And 15 years is a good age for a corn snake! Hopefully she pulls through for you.
Thank you!
The only sign that she is sick is her losing weight and looking anemic (and the stuck eggs of course) other than that she is her nornal active self. She is feisty and won't let me bathe her, she is keeping her routine.. Her naps.. Moving around... When I hold her, she is the same as she has always been...she is getting better at letting me give her the antibiotics. She's still eating with a giant appetite.
Last night after I fed her, a slightly larfer neal than I've been feeding her in hopes that it will moves things down then I decided to give her lay box another try, and at first she went in there but left her tail end out for the first few hours which I thought was weird (maybe the cloaca is hurting?) . Then she did get it in there and stayed in which is where she still is now.
The eggs definitely feel smaller inside her. I did not massage or anything because I did not want to cause her any stress.
I don't want to give up on her just yet, I will everything I can to try to help her.
 
Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #33
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimer View Post
You have done as much as you can. At this late stage, surgery may not be helpful and may just create more stress for the snake. Don't worry about the vet at all. The best thing would be to make the snake comfortable turn off any vivarium lighting and keep her quiet for a while let her rest for a couple of weeks. You have to face your worst fears over the possibility of losing her. You have done everything right. No recriminations whatsoever. All of our pets and animals pass sooner or later. I hope there may be a good outcome. Best wishes for both of you.
I know, it is very frustrating to be in a situation like this, when on thing goes wrong, everything else collapses.. That is how my life has been! And now my laptop died, i am typing from the tiny screen of my phone. Talk about not being able to afford surgery for my snake..

Question! You say to turn off any lighting and keep her quiet. She doesnt have lighting. Did you mean her heat source? I have UTH.
Also, if she is acting nornal, eating still with a gisnt appetite so to say, I cannot bring myself to do that until I see signs from her that she does feel sick and ready to go.
Am I wrong? I she in pain and I don't see it?
 
Old 07-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #34
darksidemike
I think they meant keep things dark for her to help comfort her, definitely leave her heat on.
 
Old 07-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #35
hypnoctopus
The fact that she's eating is a good sign. Definitely leave her heat on.
 
Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #36
Cursed_Witch
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Dealing with health issues of my own.
I have been feeding her adult mice and last week she pooped out what seemed to me like a calcified paste. It was actually one of the eggs because one of bumps inside her is gone.
I've been still giving her the antibiotic injections which she flinches every single time. She has one left. She has gained weight (doesn't look anemic to me anymore) but those other eggs, especially that one giant bulge is still inside her (and her stomach makes a squishy sound when gently pressed - food perhaps?)
I am debating wether I should take her back to the vet or let her continue with this process? It will be stressful for her. She will be out of antibiotics. Her last poop she got some more of the paste out but no change in egg bulge. She must be filled inside with this calcified paste from eggs.
The vet will probably recommend surgery. If she has strong appetite and gaining weight, pooped one egg out.. Are these signs enough to hope for a good outcome that she will do the same for the other eggs in time?
I know they say snakes die from egg retention but in what time frame? I read 48 hours, 1 week etc. She's at 1 1/2 months.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.





Fauna Top Sites
 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.05301404 seconds with 12 queries
Copyright Rich Zuchowski/SerpenCo