CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Biting Snake
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Naagas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsnake View Post
When I was first transferring Balthazar into his repaired viv he shot out and got some snake air. My husband started scrambling around on the counter looking for him, while I play hot potato as the snake sprang from one hand to the other. As soon as he felt my hand close around his body he relaxed. I think he was always grasped and was unnerved by a gentle hand. He is the only snake I'll hand to my oldest son or my nephew and turn away. Some snakes do like a firm hand I guess.

Not suggesting you grab Ophelia to try and tame her that way, I just like like telling this story.
Hmm. Maybe treating her like my other snakes is what is getting me into trouble.

My snakes that I raised from babies are used to the way I act.

I guess me and Ophelia have to get used to each other.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Kimblee
I got bit by an aduly corn (not my own, i was helping photograph her) a few days ago. She got my finger.

I laughed. It didn't hurt, and i didn't notice it bleeding until I smeared it onto my camera. I think it was because i didn't wash my hands well enough after feeding my snake.

I'm kinda glad it happened, it cured my lingering fear of being bitten. Now I've been bitten and feel much braver.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Dreamsnake
Every snake is different. Ophelia may not have much interaction time with humans, or she had bad experiences. You have far more snakes then I do, I'm sure there is next to nothing I can possibly teach you. Once she's figured you out her reptilian brain will learn your scent is nothing to fear.
 
Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Naagas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimblee View Post
I got bit by an aduly corn (not my own, i was helping photograph her) a few days ago. She got my finger.

I laughed. It didn't hurt, and i didn't notice it bleeding until I smeared it onto my camera. I think it was because i didn't wash my hands well enough after feeding my snake.

I'm kinda glad it happened, it cured my lingering fear of being bitten. Now I've been bitten and feel much braver.
Isn't it strange how little you can feel it?
I expected more.

The poor little snakes don't have much of a defense, do they?
 
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Naagas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsnake View Post
Every snake is different. Ophelia may not have much interaction time with humans, or she had bad experiences. You have far more snakes then I do, I'm sure there is next to nothing I can possibly teach you. Once she's figured you out her reptilian brain will learn your scent is nothing to fear.
I'm thinking that she hasn't had lots of one-on-one interaction. Not to mention that she just came out of brumation.

I'm hoping that she decides to tolerate me soon- but even if she doesn't I don't mind too much. She is a beautiful snake and she has a home among my collection.
(There are lots of fancy morphs, but I think that the classics are beautiful!! Not to mention that she is het hypo, lav, and poss het stripe!)

Here are two pics of her in a defensive pose. You can see her cereal box hides off to the side. She seems to like those.


 
Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Naagas
Here are some pics of my bite on my arm.
You couldn't even see the bite on my face.

I love how you can see how wide her jaw can open!!
 
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
ncaissie
My daughters snake looks exactly like that. We have two corns and hers has bitten me twice now. They are 2 or 3 not sure. We have had them since they were a couple of months. The first time it hit its tail on the tank when I was picking it up to feed it. The second time was yesterday when I picked it up to feed it again. I jumped back but after it bit me I picked it up and it seemed to calm down. How often should I handle them? Will handling them more make them less nervous about being held?

I just worry because my kids are 5 7 and 9 and I don't want them to get bitten and scared of them.
My snake is a pinkish white colour and seems calm.
I feed them once every week - week

Thanks for the feedback.
 
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
ncaissie
I find the bite to itch a bit.
Still does the next day.
 
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Naagas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
My daughters snake looks exactly like that. We have two corns and hers has bitten me twice now. They are 2 or 3 not sure. We have had them since they were a couple of months. The first time it hit its tail on the tank when I was picking it up to feed it. The second time was yesterday when I picked it up to feed it again. I jumped back but after it bit me I picked it up and it seemed to calm down. How often should I handle them? Will handling them more make them less nervous about being held?

I just worry because my kids are 5 7 and 9 and I don't want them to get bitten and scared of them.
My snake is a pinkish white colour and seems calm.
I feed them once every week - week

Thanks for the feedback.
Snakes are a lot more defensive when they are in their tanks.

Once you pick them up, they are a lot less likely to bite.

Yes, regular handling will get them to calm down- It has worked on some of my younger snakes.

Also, you might be surprised at how little your children mind getting bit. As long as you are calm about it, your children may take it calmly.
 
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Christen
WOW Look at that attitude. She is beautiful though. If you play connect the dots on your arm it would look like Mr Peanut complete with 2 little eyes.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.





Fauna Top Sites
 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.06281304 seconds with 9 queries
Copyright Rich Zuchowski/SerpenCo