CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Biting Snake

Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
ncaissie
My snakes are about two years and 3 months. Is it possible one of them is a female and is just being protective?
If one is and they mate what will happen? Will they eat the eggs? It is the same one that went almost 2 months (I think) without eating last summer.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
ncaissie
I’m going to remove them from my daughters bedroom so I can handle them more.
I forget they are there a lot so I need to see them more often.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #23
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
My snakes are about two years and 3 months. Is it possible one of them is a female and is just being protective?
If one is and they mate what will happen? Will they eat the eggs? It is the same one that went almost 2 months (I think) without eating last summer.
Are the snakes being housed together? If they are that maybe the source of your angry and not eaing problems. If you haven't already I would recommend doing a search on here for co-habbing snakes.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
ncaissie
Yes they are. The guy that sold them to me said it was fine.
Should I separate them?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #25
Kimblee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagas View Post
Isn't it strange how little you can feel it?
I expected more.

The poor little snakes don't have much of a defense, do they?
Their defense is being so darn cute you don't wanna hurt them.

yheah, they're pretty defenseless. But really, really pretty.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
Christen
Quote:
Yes they are. The guy that sold them to me said it was fine.
Should I separate them?
It is very highly recommend. Corn snakes are not social animals so being housed in the same inclosure can cause stress which that can cause them not to eat, regurge their food and I am sure separating would help with handling and taming her as well. Here is the most recent thread on co-habbing and it does give many examples of stress and reasons to not house them together. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108037

Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #27
Dreamsnake
Corn snakes are not pack animals, they need their territory. Once you separate them and give them more handling time you'll find their defensive postures relaxed. Give the problem eater more time to adjust to a single life. Once he's gotten a few feeds digested take him out for some gentle handling time. I'd concentrate on the biting one, never put him back down after he bites you or you'll train him to bite.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #28
Dreamsnake
Forgot to mention...I love normals too . My first corn was a normal. He died young, but I have a soft spot for the Classics.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #29
Naagas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalchow View Post
WOW Look at that attitude. She is beautiful though. If you play connect the dots on your arm it would look like Mr Peanut complete with 2 little eyes.
Haha! It does!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
Naagas
Quote:
Some people say that you can house corns together.
I think it is stupid (since it is so cheap and easy to house them separately).
Especially if they are different sizes and different sexes.

If they mate, the female might lay eggs- but if she is too young, she might get egg bound and die.
The snakes can develop eating problems and get stressed out. Although rare, they can eat each other- then they will both probably die.

If you are having ANY problems with your snakes, my first suggestion would be to separate them and give them a week or so to adjust- THEN see if they still have the problem.

What to put your snakes in? Sterilite plastic boxes. Just drill/melt some small air holes (way too small for the snake to think about fitting through) and you are good to go!

Here is a pic of my set up for 8 snakes:

Those plastic bins cost me about 4 bucks a piece at Home Depot. I secure the lids with binder clips- you know, the kind you buy at Staples:

Then I use Flexwatt heat tape for heating (it is running along the back part of the shelves)
Go here to get heat tape:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

Any other questions, feel free to PM me. :-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google