CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Do Corn Snakes Love?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
thelivingoddity
Do Corn Snakes Love?

So I've heard people say that snakes can't love, and I would like to know what everyone else's opinion on the subject is.

I know that my little guy always seems to come out when he figures out that I am home/awake and stares at me VERY INTENTLY until I open his viv, then he comes out of his own accord and goes straight onto my shoulders and is very snugly. In fact it seems he is always staring at me-- ALWAYS. He also seems to gravitate far more towards me than other people when I let others handle him (though he is very nice when handled by anybody), and he seems to seek comfort from me at times, like after being probed at the vet.

So I'd like to know-- is anyone else's corn so snugly and puppy-dog-like? I'd love to hear some stories of corns being adorable!! (OR snakes in general!)

Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
bitsy
"Love"? No. Dogs and cats don't "love" either, from my point of view.

I believe that Corns learn to know their primary care-giver and recognise them as a safe person to be near. I believe that given the choice, a Corn will go to their regular keeper as long as this is a trusted person.

I don't believe that Corns display loyalty or attachment in the same way as cats and dogs. But they definitely can form a bond with their owner, based on trust.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Forcedexile
my opinion...human emotions are just that. human emotions and thats it.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
thelivingoddity
Quote:
my opinion...human emotions are just that. human emotions and thats it.
I think that there are some animals that have emotions, like dogs (because they evolved to suit us and evolved special ways of communicating with us. also dogs and owners alike release oxytocin, the same hormone released by mothers and babies during breast feeding, when we pet them). Also many parrots, from my experience, have a wide range of very intelligent and also terrifying emotions. They can go from being very attached and loving to having neglect issues and self-injury problems. There are actually psychologists for birds... I agree with bitsy that with corn snakes it's probably just a recognition of who's safe and who provides the food, but as far as some other animals go scientists are actually beginning to do a lot of research showing just how smart and emotional certain animals can be.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Forcedexile
well tbh until people learn to actually speak to animals, i'll believe that humans invented emotions and only humans feel emotions.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
schnebbles
I think animals feel emotions, fear, happy, stuff like that. But as far as love, I don't guess I believe they love like humans but they are beings that have emotions. Snakes feel fear and trust of their caregiver.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
jonnyw
Hmmm im not so sure about the dog loving thing, I think they probably just see you as part of the pack and feel secure not love. Im not saying there isnt a bond between humans and animals there quite clearly is but I dont think it should be labled love

Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
AliCat37
I have to agree with the majority. I don't think that animals love, that is quite anthropomorphic. Even in animals where two mate for life, they do not love each other. They simply return to the same nesting site yearly, if a mate is lost they will find another.
I believe my corns recognize me, as does my boa. Other animals simply accept us as family. The best animals to domesticate are animals that live in groups or packs, so cows, dogs, horses, etc. They will come to know you as part of their family. Cats can live in colonies, so they too will learn their people from others. I have one cat who hides all the time unless she is around people she knew as a kitten.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
SnakeAround
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I think animals feel emotions, fear, happy, stuff like that. But as far as love, I don't guess I believe they love like humans but they are beings that have emotions. Snakes feel fear and trust of their caregiver.
The fear most animals, including snakes, seem to show is from instict, not emotion. I don't think they 'feel' scared, their instinct just makes them slither into a hiding space if a bird of prey flies over or when they are ill. They probably make adrenaline or something to facilitate that but humans produce other hormones too if I am right when scared. That makes them realize they are scared so they 'know' why their body is going in overdrive and why they want to run off.

Snakes however probably don't have a clue why they want to hide when a bird of prey flies over, they just do. They don't feel sad for themselves or are conscious that they are in pain either I think. They can't think about it you know, so they can only do what their brain tells them to do and they either get healthy again and feel the urge to hunt/drink/slither around agian and such or they die. So, of course I don't want my snakes to suffer but emotionally I would feel worse for a primate in pain than any of my snakes.

Only primates and the most intelligent birds and dolphins really feel emotions I think. Scientists know in which brain part emotions are 'produced' and only these animals grow that part of the brain. Snakes have the most primitive, primary brain part there is, and nothing more. It makes them go hunting, resting, hiding when danger appears and find a spot with the right temp to digest after lunch or dinner. Most of my corns indeed want to get back to me when I hand them to someone else. I think that is their instinct again telling them to stay in places they know (by smell I suppose).

At the other hand, recently I saw a documentary about a type of very small jelly fish, that have no brain but remember from previous experiences how to find their way along some invisible obstacles without bumping into them again very fast.... But maybe they do that through a unique jellyfish adaptation we don't even know....

This all does not mean I don't like to have some fun imagining what they are 'thinking' when they 'look silly' or are slithering around and doing snakey things Yet their primitive ways also makes them the interesting and mysterious animals they are...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
cmjetton
My corn Slinky is a wise old sage with several million years of evolution that has it made living day to day eating, sleeping and swimming. Does not matter if she can love because I have enough love for the both of us. Most days after dealing with emotional human doings all day hanging with her is the highlight of my day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google