CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Ready for fuzzies?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
-blaine-
Ready for fuzzies?

My corn snake has eaten two pinkies a meal now for the last three times. I still have five left so she will have two meals, with two pinkies. After these last two meals, would she be ready for one fuzzy? I picked up a six pack of them today at Petco due to some urge, maybe wishful thinking!

She is about 20inches. Two pinkies leave a swollen belly, but no large bumps like they used too. She looks back to normal 36-48 hours after shes eaten and is climbing around like before.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
cornsnakeforsale_com
Give her something that's between 1 and 1.5 times her thickest point. It should leave a lump or it's too small (unless it's multiple smaller items).

Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Lyion
Pics and weight plz?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
diamondlil
It's normal to be worried over bumping up prey sizes, and working out the right size can be daunting. If you have a digital scale that can weigh in grams, try seeing if the 2 pinks are the same as 1 fuzzy. I know I used to obsessively sort my pinky/large pinky/fuzzy orders and bag them up accordingly, before it got easier to just size them up by eye because I had more idea of what size feed would fit into which size baby snake!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
schnebbles
check in the pk and find the smallest fuzzy. The fuzzies I had varied a lot. But ya, don't go over 1-1/2 of her thickest part of her body.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
-blaine-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyion View Post
Pics and weight plz?
I could post pictures, but i'm just a first time recreational snake owner. No scale.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Pugsley
Blaine, do you have a digital kitchen scale? One of those will work just fine for weighing your snake.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
JennaJ
If you're familiar with the Munson Feeding Plan (you can find it easily in a search), you can use that to figure out how much to feed by weight. Keeping in mind that the girth of the food has to be appropriate, too-- no more than 1.5 times the snake's largest diameter. If you're weighing your snake, the Munson plan will tell you how big of a meal, in grams, is appropriate. Also, you can "mix and match" mouse sizes to get the right sized meal. Two "pinkies" not quite enough? Try one fuzzy and one pinky, for example. That's what I like to do, anyway.

The terms "pinky", "fuzzy", "hopper" etc. are a bit arbitrary

Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
-blaine-
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaJ View Post
If you're familiar with the Munson Feeding Plan (you can find it easily in a search), you can use that to figure out how much to feed by weight. Keeping in mind that the girth of the food has to be appropriate, too-- no more than 1.5 times the snake's largest diameter. If you're weighing your snake, the Munson plan will tell you how big of a meal, in grams, is appropriate. Also, you can "mix and match" mouse sizes to get the right sized meal. Two "pinkies" not quite enough? Try one fuzzy and one pinky, for example. That's what I like to do, anyway.

The terms "pinky", "fuzzy", "hopper" etc. are a bit arbitrary
Yea i have been "loosely" following those guidelines. I'd venture to guess that the Munson Plan is more of a rough idea of appropriate feedings, or atleast this is what i seem to find scattered across the web.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me advice, it will all be considered! I'll feed her two pinkies a couple more times and see if she's ready for a smaller fuzzy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google