CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

cuddling corn snakes

Old 12-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #31
Alias47
Hey Blckkat,

I am assuming the link is to the pics of the BP eaten by the Boa...
The link didn't work...I may be able to find another...I have seen this posted to SEVERAL forums.

And you hit it right on the head...it is NOT a good idea...all it takes is one wrong thing to happen...and you have a dead snake. Not worth the risk in my book. I care too much about them to risk it...besides the major time and monetary investment.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #32
Alias47
WARNING: THESE PICTURES ARE GRAPHIC...IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE REALITY OF NATURE, DO NOT CONTINUE

Here are the pics...the Bob Clark link no longer works...but I found them at Alex Hue Reptiles Forum...and saved them.

This is why you don't house two snakes together.
Boa Constrictors are not known for eating other snakes in the wild...eating mostly warm blooded prey, although they are opportunistic feeders also eating frogs, iguanas, and caimans.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #33
cornman1979
I saw them the other day on another thread, and it's true this is a worst case sinario. But who would house a python and a boa together? Not me that for sure, hell i don't even like breeding a rat snake to a corn snake, but sometimes people want the crossed ofspring they produce.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:49 PM   #34
Alias47
A Ball Python and a Boa cannot breed...as far as I know.
They were just housed together (for lack of space...or whatever other reason people would ever house two snakes together)

This is just what can happen...my point is that everyday your snakes are housed together, you run the risk of this happening.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #35
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornman1979
I saw them the other day on another thread, and it's true this is a worst case sinario. But who would house a python and a boa together? Not me that for sure, hell i don't even like breeding a rat snake to a corn snake, but sometimes people want the crossed ofspring they produce.
It wasn't about crossing offspring. It's about housing snakes together. I'm sure we could find pictures of cornsnake cannabilisum as well. I just thought it a good heads up to make people aware that it CAN happen (in all different species)...and those that keep their snakes together run the risk every day...

Old 12-30-2004, 01:58 PM   #36
cornman1979
I didn't mean that the python and boa was being crossed.

As to canablism I know it can and does happen in corns and most other types of snakes, my point was who would keep a boa and python together for whatever reason!!!
2 of the same for space saving, yeah it makes more sence, but 2 differant species of snake housed together? I wouldn't risk it with 2differant species.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #37
TripleMoonsExotic
An uneducated or uncaring person. It happens all the time. I've seen many threads on the Bob Clark forums... "I want to put my ball in with my cornsnake." "I house my redtail with my ball and don't have any problems"

If you are incapable of housing the animals properly (ie each to their own viv)...then DON'T GET THEM.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:34 PM   #38
cornman1979
Do you breed you snakes to sell blckkat or keep them as pet's that breed?

Old 12-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #39
TripleMoonsExotic
I have reptiles that are pets that breed...

and I have reptiles that are strictly pets that I do not breed...

Depends on which individual animal you are speaking of...

Old 12-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #40
TripleMoonsExotic
I wanted to add too...I do not keep ALL of my animals seperate...My community animals are kept in groups (mostly amphibians)...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google