CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Housing snakes together - my very, very long opinion

Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #11
Packerfan4
im gonna get bitched at for this but i disagree with what your saying...I dont see any problem with keeping corns together. IS THERE ANYBODY THAT BELONGS TO THE FORUMS THAT HAS HAD A PROBLEM KEPPING CORNS TOGETHER???

Old 01-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
JM :o)
I don't keep them together~ so it's not a problem for me.

I have kept adults together~ those were not a problem.

Earlier in 04 I gave two of my babies to a lady~ she insisted on keeping them in one cage. She only has one baby now. ( one tried to eat the other~ I'm not sure exactly what happened~ but one wound up dead)

Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
kathylove
..don't jump right in to smash it just because it goes against the Edicts of the Troika...

Very funny! Love it!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
Vicki M
I didnt really want to get involved in this but i totally agree with cka. Well said!

I keep 2 corns together, both of which are 2 years old. I understand that they could turn on each other but more than likely they wont. It is just like saying dont buy 2 dogs or 2 cats or have 2 children in the same house just incase one day they fight and hurt each other.

That is just my oppinion and I dont want to get into an argument about it, as we all seem to have different oppinions and experiences on this subject. I would not advise anyone not to keep 2 corns together or advise anyone to keep two corns together, all i would do is share my experience and let them decide for themselves.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Flygning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs
Did you read the post Mangrove? Or were you too star struck? It goes against everything Cornman is saying and everything you are agreeing with.

Is there a side of this conversation I'm missing?

Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #16
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfan4
IS THERE ANYBODY THAT BELONGS TO THE FORUMS THAT HAS HAD A PROBLEM KEPPING CORNS TOGETHER???
There are plenty. I'm one of them. JM also said one of her buyers had problems. Clint Boyer and Kathy Love are other people who have also seen bad things happen.

I believe that there is a significant and clear difference between saying that experienced keepers can do so with success, versus telling newbies that there are no problems as long as you feed them separately.

It helps a lot to be able to "read" them. Newbies are not familiar with their language, or the subtle signs of stress. Additionally, they have enough other issues to deal with and a lot of other things to learn before trying to worry about other things.

One very simple point is that the chances of two of them stressing/eating each other when housed separately is zero. This is something that newbies should consider.

I think too many people get caught up in trying to win, and prove how experienced they are, yadda yadda yadda, and forget that the point was to give the person asking as much information about it as possible so that they could make an informed decision. Kathy's write-ups that she posted are very good in that way: they present all considerations and convey a wise sense of caution about it.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #17
kathylove
Exactly!

Experience, and thinking things out carefully, can make all the difference in the world, although there is always blind luck, too, lol!

Old 01-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #18
Itsnowingcorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygning
Is there a side of this conversation I'm missing?
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17200 there you go flygning. I keep my corns together, but not for too much longer. I'm seperating them as soon as I'm in a situation to get new vivs. I think Kathy got it spot on there (well she is the expert after all).

P.S. Loved the CSM Kathy, so much info crammed into such a tiny book!

Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #19
daisy
Glad to see Kathy Love posting here....makes me feel reasured in my decisions. We get very attached to our pets and want to make sure that we are doing the right thing

Thanks Kathy

Old 01-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
rippit
At the very least, no one can say they haven't been warned about the possible problems with housing together. My take on this is: do what you want, but if one of your snakes eats the other, don't come back here looking for sympathy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google