CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

I am sick of my Corn Snake

Old 07-16-2005, 08:09 AM   #41
Ocelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ
It really sounds like you are not ready for herping, nor does it seem as if you are able to follow the directions the members here gave you.. You might consider giving the snake up to someone who has more expieriance, because it sounds like your friend is stressed, which might be the death of it. I am not trying to be mean, but I think the consideration for the animal is something to really look at.

Regards...
Well I think you are wrong.

Now how would you feel if you were me? All excited about getting a snake, planning on getting one for a few years, then when yo get him, it seems like it hates you? I think you wouldn't exactley be the happiest either. Its all new to me, I never had a snake before! I look to you guys for advise, and you tell me to give it away? I was planning on trying the things these guys have told me! They told me not to touch it for a week, and I didn't touch it for a week. Now they have given me more advise and I am going to try and take it!

You say give the snake up to someone who is more experienced? Now how would that work out. Everyone who got their first snake I'm sure wasn't experienced, and isn't every snake aggressive when you first bring it home? You also say its stressed. Its not like its my fault. I've tried to give it the best home I can possibly give it.

I was always fine with snakes, mainly because they never tried to bite me before! Its like dogs aswell. If one bit you, you would think twice before you try to go near it again, right?

Old 07-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #42
TandJ
I have been bit by snakes, dogs, cats, and other vermin.. Doesn't mean I am leary of handling them, even the ones that I have been bite by.. I am just saying you seem to be very uncomfortable and reluctant to handle to snake in a way that would be conclusive to future handling..

I just looked at when the thread was started, and I realize it is fairly old. From the way you typed and seem to be panicing, and freaking out I assumed you were younger person, who just starting thread within the last few days. Perhaps I didn't give you enough credit, but I honestly think if some one feels insecure about their animals maybe they should find someone who can handle them properly. Thats what I said to myself last night as I came across a 3ft Sidewinder on the side of the road.. I didn't mess with him because I was uncomfortable ( the absence of a snake hook was probably the only thing that caused me any hestitation of actually picking it up ).

Each to his own...

Regards...

Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #43
Lennycorn
Well then try the opposite, First let him chill for a few days. Then put the latex gloves on. Open the viv and slowly put you hand in. Try to get tag. Pick him up a few inches. Touch him. Etc etc. But I don't mean to provoke him. Put it in your mind that you're going to get tag. Do not jerk your hand back!!! . Pick him up a little and crawl off again. Guess I'm trying to say is let the snake get tried of striking at you And you must get over the fear of a strike. . Try this for maybe?? 5mins a day?? Change the water while your there, clean out any poop. Let him get used to your hand.
I will be getting flame on now, but oh well . If you tried the first way then try this.
Good luck Don’t give up hope.
Just a thought

Old 07-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #44
whatsit107
I dont think you should get rid of your snake, because like you said, if everyone who got bitten got rid of their snakes, no one would have snakes. You just need to get comfortable holding him. All he has in his mind is that you are going to eat him, and all he is concerned about is getting as far away from you as possible. His natural defense is to bite, so thats what he does. If he learns that he can get away from you by biting, thats what he will continue to do. You just have to teach him that this is not acceptable. Even if he does bite you, just keep holding him. Don't put him back in the viv until he has been calm for a few minutes. Teach him that by being calm, he will get what he wants. Some snakes are calm from the day you get them, others take months (even years) to calm down. Different snakes have different personalities, just like every other animal. Like you said, the bites dont hurt so there is really nothing to be afraid of.

I wonder why more people why more people are not deathly afraid of cats? I have been mauled more seriously by my cat than any other pet I have owned.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #45
Joejr14
...< engaging GBB mode ...>

Ocelot, how old are you?

While I can understand your dislike of being bitten, because it's not a pleasant thing, we're talking about a hatchling here. If we were talking about an adult, I could understand the fear. Hatchlings do not hurt. Their teeth are almost non-existant and you can barely feel them bite.

If you're terrified of a hatchling, to be honest, a snake probably isn't the best pet for you. I mean, if you cant reach in and simply pick a hatchling up, it's going to grow up into an adult and then you'll never pick it up. Adults bites while certainly are not painful, they're definitely not pleasant and will draw blood.

You definitely need to get over this fear of hatchlings sooner rather than later. Not all snakes that are brought home from stores or shows are nasty. Every hatchling I've ever bought have been absolutely fine---no signs of aggression or anything.

I got a pair of 2003's from Kathy Love back in Feb and they were fine when I was transferring them from their deli cups into their homes, but for about a month they would show signs of aggression, i.e getting into that strike pose and rattling their tails. I just laughed. If they bit me, oh well. A hatchling or yearling bite isn't going to hurt and really shouldn't be a cause for concern.

You've really just gotta reach into the tank and snatch em up. Get some Purell and use that on your hands before you reach into the tank everyime. Eventually the snake will get used to the smell and stop biting, and I can only imagine that rubbing alcohol doesn't taste too well.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #46
MegF.
One thing Ocelot. I had one of my young ones that rattled her tail, bit, musked and any assortment of the above behaviors. As she's gotten larger (she's now almost a year) she has mellowed considerably. I did spend a lot of time just putting her in a shallow rubbermaid container and picking her up and putting her back. I repeated it over and over until she acted calmer and then I put her away. She has now gone several weeks without offering to do any of the obnoxious stuff, and is much quieter in my hand. Don't give up hope. Corns are for the most part a mellow breed, and some just take a little more time than others. Calm slow movements, easing your hand under the body, and softly grasping it works much better than grabbing when they get quick. It might take a few tries, but you will find that you'll get it. I know it's hard not to quickly grasp when they get to scooting around the tank, but if you just take a deep breath and relax, you'll have better results. I'm sure your snake will come around. You might just have to wait a while until it feels a little more secure.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:40 AM   #47
Joejr14
Since I see Kathy browsing the thread, I should add that those two I got from her are absolute angels now. Two of my tamest. Sometimes it takes a few months for them to settle totally down, sometimes it doesn't.

However, you need to work on it and not be terrified.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:42 AM   #48
PssdffJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
...< engaging GBB mode ...>getting into that strike pose and rattling their tails. I just laughed.
They actually rattle their tails!! that sounds so cute for a hatchling to do... but im still not going to go piss off Nagini to see her do it though!!

Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 AM   #49
colinmcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PssdffJay
They actually rattle their tails!! that sounds so cute for a hatchling to do... but im still not going to go piss off Nagini to see her do it though!!
Some do, some don't.

I've had my two oldest snakes for 13 years now and neither one has ever rattled their tails or adopted anything even remotely resembling an aggresive pose.

My five year old will get aggresive when he's hungry, I get the odd tail rattle out og him then. The rest of the time he's docile as.

One of my other females has always been twitchy. She's just shy but she'll act aggressive sometimes if she feels cornered - coiling, rattling etc - she never actually bites though ...... the big woos!

They're all different but persistence and correct handling when they're young goes a long, long way.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #50
scalesnthings
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsit107
I wonder why more people why more people are not deathly afraid of cats? I have been mauled more seriously by my cat than any other pet I have owned.
Haha.. it's funny you should say that.. my boyfriend was always the reptile person, and I was always the cat person.. Almost every scar on my body is from a cat, yet I'm not afraid of the meanist "tiger" out there.. I went a good 6 months in a house full of reptiles without ever getting bitten, and then it happened. I was holding a neonate that we had just gotten. We didn't know how long it had been since he had eaten, but we definatly found out he was hungry.. I felt something tickle, yes, I said tickle, my thumb, but when I looked down, I found he was trying to get his whole little (but rapidly expanding) mouth around my digit! I FREAKED, big time. Started screaming and everything (No one says a WORD about this, even though I'm admitting it here, I will never admit to it again! lol). Here I am, having been tore open to the point I probably should have gotten stitches from cats, and I'm screaming my head off over a tiny, hungry cornsnake. Though in my defence, I've never been an object of food for a cat.. anyway, I'm still a little shy when it comes to the ones I know are brats.. we have one, Racer, that we've had for about 8-9 months now, and he is still an evil demon. I don't know how he was in the store, but he hates EVERYTHING that moves here... we still love him though.. I just won't pick him up w/o latex gloves.. my boyfriend gets so mad at me for being shy, and says the same thing everyone here has been saying, you just have to go for it. I'm still learning the same thing, you're not the only one! Just be persistant, and the biggest battle here I think is with yourself, I know that that's the case for me!

~Laine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google