CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

I am sick of my Corn Snake

Old 07-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #51
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
...< engaging GBB mode ...>

I got a pair of 2003's from Kathy Love back in Feb and they were fine when I was transferring them from their deli cups into their homes, but for about a month they would show signs of aggression, i.e getting into that strike pose and rattling their tails. I just laughed. If they bit me, oh well. A hatchling or yearling bite isn't going to hurt and really shouldn't be a cause for concern.
Kathy must sell some fiesty snakes

I have two 2005 Cornutopia hatchlings that I just received last week. They are both absolute beauties. One of the two repeatedly bit me as I transferred her from her shipping container to her new home. After leaving them totally alone for four days I transferred "Little Bitey" back into her deli cup for a meal (they both ate right away). She struck a few more times then settled right down and let me handle her for a few minutes.

My point is that if I wasn't looking at the snake, I wouldn't have known I was being bit. You can't even feel it when they are that small. Just settle down, reach in slowly and confidently and gently pick the snake up between your thumb and forefinger. Cup it in your second hand without letting go, and gently restrain it until it calms down.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #52
~slither~
My advice would be don't grab her. Let her come to you and eventually she will. Mine did. They must want to get out the viv every now and again, and I just made it so that if her head came out, my hand was waiting for her to slither onto it. Even now she's a little skittish if I grab her, but 9 times out of 10 she'll have no problem coming onto my hand, otherwise she'll just turn straight back around. I might add that I've never been bitten or even struck at. *touch wood* never will.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #53
PssdffJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyK

I have two 2005 Cornutopia hatchlings that I just received last week. They are both absolute beauties. One of the two repeatedly bit me as I transferred her from her shipping container to her new home. After leaving them totally alone for four days I transferred "Little Bitey" back into her deli cup for a meal (they both ate right away). She struck a few more times then settled right down and let me handle her for a few minutes.

My point is that if I wasn't looking at the snake, I wouldn't have known I was being bit. You can't even feel it when they are that small. Just settle down, reach in slowly and confidently and gently pick the snake up between your thumb and forefinger. Cup it in your second hand without letting go, and gently restrain it until it calms down.

Maybe I have been tagged then, I dont know. I remember the first time I picked up Nagini to put her in her feeding container, she was facing the back of my hand by my pinky (finger, not mouse) and I remember something hitting my pinky nuckle really fast but it didnt hurt or something, I just thought that I brushed it against something... who knows... maybe I was tagged, but nothing has happpened since.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #54
Loxfiredance
Snakies

When I went to get my two babies in June (actually they were yearlings,) I had my heart set on a Charcoal and an Okeetee, although it was my boyfriend who really wanted the black one, (hes a goth lol). We went into the shop and I saw the snake for me instantly, he was beautiful, red with black rings. I held him and he was fine, very docile and sweet. There was a Charcoal there as well but when my b/f held her she rattled her tail and tried to bite me when I stroked her. It turned out she wasn't the one for us and so we decided on a lovely motley snow instead, he was of fantastic temperament and so we decided on those two.
The only thing now is, through holding that black one, my b/f is nervous around the others, even though they'd never even consider biting. I konw you're a fist time owner, Ocelot, but have you had an experience before this corn snake with another animal that's made you so nervous about them? Perhaps a dream, or maybe a member of your family was harmed by a snake?
Corn snake bites don't hurt and if yours does get you don't pull your hand away or you could rip his little teeth out.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #55
~slither~
All people are a little worried when you say the word snake. It's only because they've probably never had the privilege of handling one. All of my friends who at first were scared, or at least a little nervous, of my girl are now snake lovers, and one mate even decided to get himself one. The only person who I can't convert is my mother, but she doesn't like any animals, not even cats and dogs. I kinda think thats why I am into my pets, because I was never allowed them as a child. At least it keeps her out of my b/room lol.
At the end of the day there is no way a corn is going to seriously hurt you, just wish I could conince mother of that. One day I will.
Oh and pssdffjay, From what i've gathered young corns normally don't open their mouths when they go for you, they just headbutt you. So you probably got nutted.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #56
peep_827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyK

By any chance is your bitey baby an okeetee? Mine tried to tag my nose when I had to stop and check out his beautiful little self while transferring him to his deli cup the 1st time I fed him. Kathy had mentioned to me at some point that her okeetees tend to be a little wild at first but usually settle down, so I'm not too worried it.

I agree that being tagged by a hatchling, or even a yearling, is no big deal. It feels more like a tap than a bite anyway - it's kinda funny to see really.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #57
babbaloo99
Ocelot, if it helps any, perhaps you can ask someone with experience with snakes to come over and handle the snake for you (after it has had a few days to destress). Then you can see how that person confidently picks the snake up and handles it. I remember when I first got my snake, the breeder handled him with ease. Then when I got him home, I was so nervous the snake seemed like a totally different animal. It really could sense my nervousnous. But then you will see that the animal really is still that sweet snake you saw it was, it's just how you approach it. It just has to realize you are not a threat and then it will mellow out. Trust me, sometimes watching someone can really help.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #58
ReavenFeathers
IMHO I think this kid isnt going to listen to us, he/she will only hear/read what they want to hear and ignore everything else.

We keep repeating ourselves when this kid comes back asking for more advice. We gave it to him/her now let him/her figure it out! Personally this person needs to grow up a little and learn disapointments happen If you're bitten by the snake...ok...yeah that sucks, but SO? Is it poisonous? Did it kill you? C'Mon now!

I have scars on my neck from freaking Labradors that throught I was the most demonic thing alive...and 1/3 the muscles in my arm are perminatly ripped from a Chow latching onto my arm. Does that mean I become a little sissy? No! I just girn and bear it. Now I am not affaid of dogs biting me, infact I have formed an immunity to it (in a sence)

GROW UP. For the love of jesus! Take our advice, or stop posting that its still biting you.

Owning any Herp must come with a sence of PATIENCE and an understanding that snakes are not completely domesticated. Sorry to break the bubble...but snakes are just no Dogs or cats....or FISH for heaven sakes! If you cannot handle the fact that snakes do, will, can and have bitten people then DONT get one. Best recommendation is getting a goldfish. Then you dont have to worry about it biting through the 1/3 inche sheet of glass, plus they cant jump.

Am I being mean here? No, I am being realistic. Snakes are cool and all, but they are BY FAR not for everyone. Take a step back from your love of snakes and really think, in thought FOR the snake's well being and not your selfish wants, and really deside if snakes are something that you love enough to OWN. If you KNOW you love them enough to own, then get over a hatchling bitting you. Get over ANYTHING snake related biting you. It happens...and as I said, if you cannot handle it (or take our advice PERIOD, because to be frank I havent really seen anything that you have typed that has followed our advice) dont own snakes.

My two cents.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #59
colinmcc
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ..... muchos LOL!

I should have seen it coming after I posted on the 'Bitten?' poll (not once in 13 years ... until tonight) ....

I was cleaning out the hatchling tubs tonight. First time I've cleaned out clutch number 3. They all seemed really docile when I transferred them from the incubator tub into their nursery tubs. Well, it looks like they've been gathering their strength since I put them in there a couple of days ago.

Got a couple of rattles from two of them. Then about the 7th or 8th one turned and tagged me once I'd picked it up .... ha ha ha ha ha .... how funny was that. The next one managed to get me twice, rattling like crazy the whole time.

I had to take a break after that 'cos I was laughing my head off. The wife came up to watch me cleaning out the last 3 or 4 to see if one of them would go for it .... none did. I did invite her to try the most bitey one herself .... she declined. lol.

Gotta say though, having a hatchling go for you is actually pretty funny. Tough guy act all the way.

I did wonder why this lot seemed so mellow. Their mother has always been a bit skittish. Not especially aggressive but jumpy and prone to giving her tail a rattle now and then. Looks like some of the hatchlings got a bit of her temperament after all.

Still, I'm guessing when they're a bit bitey, they shouldn't be a problem to get them feeding.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #60
TandJ
Sounds like Murphy has visited you!

Regards..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google