CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Who houses their Corns together?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #31
Roy Munson
For a number of years I kept several groups communally, with little regard to size or gender. This was a few years before ultra-informative net sites like this one were available, so I wasn't aware of the risks. When Michael McEachern's book (the "corn bible" of its time) came out, it said this arrangement was ok, with caveats regarding male combat, separate feeding, and new-acquisition quarantine. I fed separately, but witnessed numerous male combats (the combatants were never any worse for wear as far as I could determine), and experienced a couple of other unforseen problems:

1. My young, slow-growing, fussy-eating, underweight, timid Miami female was impregnated, and threw a clutch of bad eggs. Obviously, she was in worse shape after laying. I never brumated, so I had ignorantly ignored the possibility. She survived, but it was tough bringing her back to health (skinny health, that is).

2. The snakes used to frequently engage in a kind of "jerky" dance when they would come in contact with each other. It was most pronounced following feedings, but was not exclusive to these times. It wasn't a serious issue, but I couldn't pretend that this dance was a good thing. It looked like a nervous response. I never see this behavior now that all my snakes are housed separately.

I'm happy to add that I've never seen any cannibalism, even when the hatchlings were congregated in their incubation tubs. But I'm really not interested in seeing it first-hand, so now I'll do whatever I can to prevent it.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #32
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg
yadda
Larry, I offered my opinion. I didn't say anything in my post was scientific. I do not need data, statistics, or facts to have an opinion that chocolate ice cream is gross, nor do I to have an opinion about cohabitation, or about stoners. Quoting data, statistics, or facts does not make my opinion stop being my opinion.

I realize you've now got a massive chip on your shoulder and are out to prove to everyone on the forum how smart you are. But I really don't care, and I will not be a part of your newfound crusade.

Quote:
I am saying thankyou for putting serpwidget right,all i did was ask a lot of questions into keeping corns,and then i get berated for asking them!
Nobody berated you for asking questions. "all i did was" point out that the question you asked might not get you all the information you wanted to make an informed decision.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #33
miamijuan3
I have never had any problems housing my snakes together. I just feed them separately and outside the tank. I have a container where all my snakes are fed. They know when i put them in it they know its feeding time. I also only house same size snakes together. IMHO they seem to enjoy each other because they are always curled up together. thats just how i do it but to each his or own.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #34
viktoria333
Housing corns together?

This was how i was gonna do it.I did get two,both amelanistic,but i still can't say what morph they are!Dark pinkY[almost rose coloured]on a very light pink background.If i can find i picture on the web i can download it.At the moment both are separate but i may change this set up,maybe have supervised playtimes when they are more settled.Both have eaten,didn't regurgitate yet,and have been out and about in thier enclosures.They seem happy enough!

Old 08-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #35
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktoria333
At the moment both are separate but i may change this set up,maybe have supervised playtimes when they are more settled.
They're not puppies. They are solitary animals. Playtimes are not needed, and they probably are not desired by the snakes.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #36
Smoogle
Nobody here is going to know what snakes think or feel,

I think any animal can get used to any set up,

Just need to adapt.

There is no right or wrong answer, just seems to be in the favour of housing seperately. I house my snakes together without problem even if the risk oof problems is increased.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #37
CAV
I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!

I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE ACTUALLY PUT "OLIVER STONE" AND "ELITE" IN THE SAME SENTENCE!

For he record Larry....

Watching Star Trek reruns and living in your parents basement does not qualify you as a "scientific thinker".

Back to the topic at hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryg
It doesn't sound like there are many bona fide examples of cannibalism with adult Corns. If there are, I'm all ears.
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point, but your wrong again Larry. I've personally seen adult corns attack and constrict other adults. Does it happen every day? No, but it happens frequently enough that I'm not willing to risk losing a valuable breeder animal just to test the odds.

Your inexperience with this hobby is glaringly obvious. If you want to subject your animals to the reckless and dangerous husbandry practices that you advocate, it is certainly your right. (It sucks for your animals, but we don't get to pick our caretakers in life.) However, if you continue on your current quest of pumping out incorrect and reckless advice on this forum, I will make it my sole mission to call you out, embarrass you, and ensure that unsuspecting newcomers are fully aware that you are no more experienced than they so that your "opinions" are given an appropriate level of consideration.

The choice is yours.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:06 PM   #38
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE ACTUALLY PUT "OLIVER STONE" AND "ELITE" IN THE SAME SENTENCE!
Now that's funny right thar, I don't care who you are

Old 08-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #39
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV

Watching Star Trek reruns and living in your parents basement does not qualify you as a "scientific thinker".
I read somewhere that tribbles have twice the nutrient content of rats (but you have to shave them down).

Old 08-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #40
debcash
I read somewhere that tribbles have twice the nutrient content of rats (but you have to shave them down).

I simply have to read all the threads - its better than anything on TV these days!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google