CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: How many corn snakes do you have?
1 268 46.21%
2-4 158 27.24%
5-8 46 7.93%
8-more 108 18.62%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

One pissed off corn snake

Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #31
JasonGranger
How did he find this thread? LOL It must be on page 57 or something.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #32
Cully
search tool ... same way I found it.

My corn does this aswell.. but it's possibly that I've fed him every time from my hand now... I'll try and get the tongs in future.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #33
tomgarland
One different method of picking up your corn, that worked for me and my snake when he was aggressive as a hatchling is to:-
1. remove the hide, hopefully seeing the snake all curled up
2. Next place your hand confidently palm down onto the snake whilst it is still coiled (carefull only to apply light pressure, not pushing him into the substrate) just enough so he feels in a secure, darker (if youve covered the head too), small space. This makes corns feel more relaxed
3. The difficult bit is after your corn looks calm and hasnt moved for a few seconds remove your hand and without taking it away from the snake pick up a third of the way down the body, because yours is a hatchling you can pick up using one hand, i used to get my corn between two fingers as far underneath as possible, before quickly as i raised it from the ground added more support.

Hope this helps. Also when handling be a little careful when introducing your other hand. I know this might sound stupid but if you move your hand holding the snake to your other empty hand which remains still the corn will react far more calmly than if you keep the snake still and the move your hand towards the snake.
Think its got something to do with aggression. A big looming hand is bound to be intimidating if forced on you, but if it feels like its approaching the hand...
Dont know why that is, but it works with passing the snake to other people when your holding it.
Hope these little methods work for you they did for me. Please keep me informed!

Old 03-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #34
alysha101
Help with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs545
My snake is a very violent snake. Ever since he bit me he has never been the same. He never seems content when i try to handle him. When i do try to handle him he tries to squirm out of my hand and fall to the floor where he runs under my bed and quickly gets into his defensive position. Every time I try to get it out of its tank it cocks its head back ready to strike my hand at any moment. But recently i managed to piss off my snake really bad. It was feeding day for my snake, so i picked up the rock he hides under and tried to pick him up to get him to his separate tank with newspaper. But before i could pick him up he managed to get into strike position. I took a pencil to try to pick him up from underneath his body rather than my hand. He started to run but i managed to get him on to the snake and into his other tank. As soon as he got into the other tank he struck at the glass(most likely going for my hand). He then cocked his head back again, and started to rattle his tail just like a rattlesnake. Now i know he cant actually rattle his tail, but his tail was moving so quickly against the newspaper, that it sounded just like a rattlesnake. I have never seen this behavior in my snake. Is this normal for all newborn snakes? How do i get my snake to become more comfortable. Is there a proper way to pick up my snake, because it seems that when i use my finger to scoop up under his body it seems to startle him. If i cant use my hands to pick up my snake what should i use? I appreciate any advice or comments.

We just got my cornsnake not too long ago. The expert told us that if it starts to show aggression then you can start by showing it comfort. When you get it out of its cage, pick it up with a towel gently. I hope that helps you. Well, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #35
snakemom1961
I think this is one of those threads that will be brought up for the next 10 years with more advice for the original poster.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #36
Andrew5760
Hah, i wonder after 4 years his "hatchling" which now should be fully grown, still strikes n bites ;[ update! justtt kidding.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #37
Daeraelle
All my threads die after one or two days, but this guy has staying power. He hasn't even had to post since 05-25-2003.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #38
PSYCOSNAKEMOM
Question So are you guys saying.........

Cornsnakes are a lot like boy friends, unpredictable and sometimes bite? And even after years of training, it doesn't stop?

I haven't been on in awhile what are the silver coins with the snake near your avatars about?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #39
brtrude
hi guys i thought id chip in with some info about my newly aquired snake who i have called Dezmond.
Hes really lovely, but as hes a hatchling and in a new home and has been hiding a lot. It is the fourth day of owning him now and for the past two days he has been adventuring out of his hide quite a lot (which i am really pleased with as this can only be a good thing). However sometimes if he sees me enter the room when i chek on him, he doesnt run but he deffinately doesnt seem as relaxed. Also he may go back into his hide within the first 5 minuted of me doin there. After reading all the GREAT info that people have been posting on theis particulare page for YEARS lol i have come to realize that this behaviour is normal?? Does this sound correct dudes??
Also, i have not handled him today, the last few days before i did get him out to handle (which i now know i should not have done) and he pooped while i was handling him. If i leeve him alone for a few days and then come to handle him...will he be less likely to poop when i get him??
He is feeding well and is due for a meal in 3 days. Should i try and not handle him until then or get him out say....the day or two before??
Im sure you guys are sick of answering questions like this but it is properly appreciated.
thanks a lot dudes.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #40
snakemom1961
Not sick at all of questions. How long have you had him? If only a week or so and had been handling him in the beginning I'd let him settle for 3 or so days before handling again. I'd hold off on handling him at all other then to put him in his feeding tub until 2 or 3 days after he's fed. You want to make sure whatever lump is in his belly is gone before you decide to handle. Also know they will poo about 3 days after feeding , so your very apt to be poo'd on if you handle him then. Good luck with you guy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google