CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Root Beer Corns

Old 07-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #1
Hope H
Question Root Beer Corns

I'm looking for a picture or link to a picture of a Root Beer Corn. Thank you....

Old 07-12-2002, 08:02 AM   #3
Tim Madsen
Silvertongue is correct Shannon Brown of High Sierra sells them. Just in case you didn't know they are not pure corns but hybrids. IMHO

Old 07-12-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
SilverTongue
hehe true, but most of the more interesting ones are

Old 07-12-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Hope H
What is it that is breed to make a Root Beer Corn? I didn't know it was a hybrid.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:42 PM   #6
kenalotia
Root beer corns are another emoryi/guttata cross. They're not amels like the creamsicles, is all.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:28 PM   #7
Hope H
Thank you...

Thank you all...Learn something new everyday

Old 07-13-2002, 01:30 AM   #8
HomeBreeder
so, to take a tangent.. are there other crosses with common names that just call them corn snakes?

creamsicle = amel guttata X emoryi
rootbeer = gutta X emoryi
jungle = guttata X albino california kingsnake?

I read on someone's sight tonight that the green spotted snows (and "bubblegums" which are the same, right?) were a hybrid.

While I maintain a certain fascination with hybrids (I'm particularly curious to see if any how grey-banded kingsnake blood would mix with corn) I'm moreso on the side of the fence that think we ought to exploit the pure corn genes more (they obviously still have many secrets for us to discover) than having a willy-nilly hybrid-fest and losing track of the pure bloodlines.

What happens when these hybrbids escape and intermingle with local rat snake and cornsnake populations? It seems a little irresposible to me, I guess, because I don't think anyone have even bothered to really answer that question.

^Curtis

Old 07-13-2002, 02:37 AM   #9
SilverTongue
well the only real problem I can forsee is that anyline bread with a king of any type will eat other snakes. I think Milksnakes will also. So We could creat another race of cornsnakes that eat snake heheh KING CORN MUhahahaha MUuhahaHAI

Old 07-13-2002, 11:52 AM   #10
kenalotia
Personally, I'm not worried about the guttata/emoryi crosses. Many people believe that corns and emoryis are actually the same species to begin with, calling emoryis Elapha guttata emoryi. (ie, emoryi is a subspecies.) Also, many people believe that Kisatchie corns are a natural population of corn and emoryi crosses. Since corns and emoryis will naturally breed with each other when they encounter each other in season, I feel pretty sure that there must be wild crosses where their territories meet or overlap, even if Kisatchies are not an example. Plus, their young are fertile.

Crosses with king snakes and milk snakes are another story altogether. Corns will not breed with these snakes without some form of trickery on the part of a human, and the offspring are normally infertile. These crosses are not in any way natural, and while I do not object to corn/emoryi crosses, I do not like the other hybrids. But that's just my opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google