CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

uses for shed skins

Old 12-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
lazarin
uses for shed skins

hi y'all! i've got a pretty handsome pile of shed snakeskins decorating my house now, and was wondering if any of you guys do something cool with them. i've seen some nice crafts around the internet, and stuff like pinback buttons.

since they're an organic material, i figure there must be some practical use. has anyone tried composting them, or something like that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
crackerhead
I used to put them in my compost pile but the birds kept stealing them and weaving them into their nests. The neighbors complained that it was creeping them out so I stopped. They take a long time to breakdown. There is one nest that has been used for three seasons now, with minor repairs, that was made with sheds that are still intact.

Terri

Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Nanci
I separate the heads from perfect sheds and stick them to my refrigerator. (Stainless steel.)

Perhaps this is why I'm single.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
lazarin
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I used to put them in my compost pile but the birds kept stealing them and weaving them into their nests. The neighbors complained that it was creeping them out so I stopped. They take a long time to breakdown. There is one nest that has been used for three seasons now, with minor repairs, that was made with sheds that are still intact.

Terri
i bet those bird nests looked cool as hell though

thanks for the replies!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
crackerhead
I just remembered a time when I was at the Arlington show some years ago where Don Soderberg handed a bag of sheds to a lady. She was very excited and thankful thus peaking my curiosity. Once she left, I asked Don what she wanted with snake sheds. He replied that every year she contacted him before the show and asked him to save sheds for her. She owned a beauty shop and used them as decoration on nails. The shed were embedded into the wet nail lacquer and then top coated. Nails and Scales! I'll bet they looked cool.
I've done similar projects with wooden treat boxes. It's an interesting finish and you can make your "snake box" any color you choose. The heads are very cool when you put them in poured resin jewelry. If it's tinted it can look like Amber with a shadowy 3D snake head inside.

Terri

Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
lazarin
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
I just remembered a time when I was at the Arlington show some years ago where Don Soderberg handed a bag of sheds to a lady. She was very excited and thankful thus peaking my curiosity. Once she left, I asked Don what she wanted with snake sheds. He replied that every year she contacted him before the show and asked him to save sheds for her. She owned a beauty shop and used them as decoration on nails. The shed were embedded into the wet nail lacquer and then top coated. Nails and Scales! I'll bet they looked cool.
I've done similar projects with wooden treat boxes. It's an interesting finish and you can make your "snake box" any color you choose. The heads are very cool when you put them in poured resin jewelry. If it's tinted it can look like Amber with a shadowy 3D snake head inside.

Terri
very cool!!

Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Nanci
You know what else is fun to do with them- give them to kids. I gave a whole bag of nice sheds to my friend's grade school son. He sorted them all out and cataloged them!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
Rich Z
You know, I have always thought that there must be some pretty unique characteristics of the very first shed that a newly hatched baby snake goes through right after hatching. It has to protect the skin of the baby while in the egg and being in a constantly wet environment.

I would hazard a guess that some species, such as the sea snakes, probably have pretty interesting properties to their skins as well.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
daddio207
I donate mine to a local Hermit Crab Rescue. Apparently Hermit Crabs love eating shed skins LOL

Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
lazarin
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
I donate mine to a local Hermit Crab Rescue. Apparently Hermit Crabs love eating shed skins LOL
i bet it's real good for their shells. maybe my snails would like to try some!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google