CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Best captures

Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #71
anerybree
I've never been musked on. I was camping when I caught the garter, and he let boy scouts and my friends hold him as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #72
Thickscaled
I have a lot of turtle stories, and some others, many of these happened before I owned a camera or didn't have one around.

I was walking along a lake and saw a female turtle laying her eggs in the sand. She allowed me to watch for a little bit before I got yelled at by my dad to let her be.

Another turtle encounter happened when I was wondering in a creek and caught a red-eared slider and a soft-shelled snapping turtle, both of which I brought home and kept for a little bit before taking them back to the creek and letting them go. I found ether momma or daddy for the snapper right before the ledge I let them go at.

After a massive storm, I went out to look at flood damage and found a box turtle walking across the road. I took it off the road and put it over a fence to prevent it from getting run over.

I seem to have a lot of turtle encounters, this one I have a picture of and will post when I can dig it off my external Hard-drive. I found a snapper like turtle, he was laying around where fireworks were going to be set up. I managed to pick the big guy up and put him in the local "water trap" without getting bit.

---Yes a lot of turtle stories. I seem to have them drawn to me.

I used to catch small little blackish-brown frogs from the drainage area and set up a large home for them in my stock tank. I havn't been able to do this for a while now, I did this when I was little and my mom has taken the tank and turned it into a raccoon home. I see them running under it from time to time.

This last one was my first encounter with a wild snake, I watched Croc Hunter a whole lot, and not my smartest. I was at a picnic and walking by the river and saw a black snake slithering along. So, without thinking, I took off after it so I could catch it and bring it home as a pet. It wasn't till I grew up and started learning more about snakes, that I found this snake was a cotton-mouth. Needless to say I never made that mistake again.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #73
cornbreadandmilk
top three for me

last year (this one is special because its the first i have caught in forever i looked for literally 3 weeks everyday and finally my sister walked right into him and came to get me

looked for this fish my whole life literally a life goal to catch a 10lbs plus bass

very memorable family moment with my cousin and sisters

Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
cornbreadandmilk
one more rough green snake when i was a kid found him on a strand of barb wire

when i was even younger than this i had three of them in a tank they bred and laid eggs for me they didnt hatch though i was only like 6 or 7 then

Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #75
cornbreadandmilk
grrr sorry guys one more this one i love so much looked for him forever then found him of course by accident

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #76
Optreptiles
That is really amazing that you managed to get rough greens to breed! They are usually really hard to keep in captivity, let alone mate in captivity!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #77
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optreptiles View Post
That is really amazing that you managed to get rough greens to breed! They are usually really hard to keep in captivity, let alone mate in captivity!
I have heard that said many time before too, but I had a couple when I was about 7 or 8 years old back in 1967-68 that thrived very well for me and would take insects like roaches, crickets, and caterpillars with no problems at all.

~Doug

Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #78
cornbreadandmilk
[quote=DMong;1422761]I have heard that said many time before too, but I had a couple when I was about 7 or 8 years old back in 1967-68 that thrived very well for me and would take insects like roaches, crickets, and caterpillars with no problems at all.

~Doug[/QUOTE

wow didnt no that !

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #79
Zombiegirl
i used to catch lots of frogs and turtles in my grandparents' pond back in the day (same time i would flee for my life when i would see a snake XD) but no photos...my goal this year is to go out and try to find a rubber boa...i LOVE them!!! would love to add one to my collection

Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #80
TrpnBils

Blanding's Turtle - considered to be extirpated from the state at the time

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google