CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Crickets?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Bartholomew
I say as long as your snake is captive bred, you should stick with feeding it apropriate sized mice.
No crickets needed at all.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
BooBoo18
Thanks Scott we are still trying the pinkies every 5 days I will see about getting the pinkie rubbed with cricket and try that tonight. He is in a 5.5 gallon glass with uth on repticarpet and aspen has two hides one on the warm side and one on the cool with a branch for some climbing if he likes. Temps are with a probe are at 80 to 85 on the warm side.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Lyion
^^ I don't plan on feeding Xia anything but the best and even if it was safe, I wouldn't feed her the crickets as I'm sure they aren't as nutritional as mice. I was mainly curious and wondering for hatchling sake. TY

Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo18 View Post
Thanks Scott we are still trying the pinkies every 5 days I will see about getting the pinkie rubbed with cricket and try that tonight. He is in a 5.5 gallon glass with uth on repticarpet and aspen has two hides one on the warm side and one on the cool with a branch for some climbing if he likes. Temps are with a probe are at 80 to 85 on the warm side.

I would let the snake go 5 days without any food being offered before trying the cricket scented pinkie. Let it get hungry, then do everything to maximize your chances.

Rub the outside of the cricket on the pinkie then squish fluids onto it as well (you can also F/T the cricket if you are not comfortable smashing a live one). Feed at dusk, hopefully during a time when it's active. If it has been eating crickets in it's cage I would start out that way for now, and not use a seperate container. Scent up the mouse and slide it in there as quietly as possible. Then leave for a while and see what happens...

Best of luck!
Scott

Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
They have a hard exoskeliton that can cause blockages and kill them.
To add to this ... Aside from possible digestion problems (due to the exoskeleton), crickets are high in Phosphorus. Just as too much calcium is problematical ... so is too much phosphorous. Thus, with crickets, there would be a requirement to supplement with calcium (containing D3).
That said, crickets should not be fed to Corns.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google