CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What is the point of baths?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Asher9
What is the point of baths?

I was wondering what the point is of bathing your snake besides if they have a stuck shed, or are constipated or something like that. I read somewhere that someone bathes their corn snake once a week??

Old 01-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Asher9
Sorry, what ARE the point of baths, lol.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
If I crawled on my belly through my own poop and pee I'd occasionally appreciate a bath too.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Asher9
Yeah, that's true, I just wasn't sure if it stressed them out or not.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Asher9
Cool, thanks

Old 01-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
MysticExotics
I don't give my snakes baths.
Stuck sheds are typically due to lack of hydration, so as long as they have clean, fresh water at all times, they do not usually have any issues with shedding.

I also give mine water bowls big enough to soak in, should they want to, with the exception of females that I have bred, they get bowls that are too small to soak in, so they do not lay eggs in the water bowl.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
jagodzinski
I use baths for stuck sheds. I used to bath when my snake was younger, she didn't seem to mind it, she would just chill out. But there is not really a reason to other than the cases you mentioned. If you do decide to bath though, make sure you never leave your snake alone and the water is not too deep and she is always able to rest her whole head above the water level.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
BeauBoi
I bath my snakes every week-to-2 weeks. It all started this past winter when the humidity in our house bottomed out from using the central-heating system. I had 2 snakes that had stuck sheds (a first for me), and had read that bathing would help them finish, which it did. One of the snakes was my male Everglades, who has been a spitfire since day one! I didn't reall know how long to let him swim in the bath, so I kept him in for about 15 minutes of constant supervision. After I got him out of the bath, he was like a different animal! Where as before he has always been squirmy, snappy and bites; after his bath he was a total puppy dog!
At first I thought he must have just been so grateful for some relief from itchy skin, but a week later he was back to his old grumpy self. So I thought, let's try a bath again even though he had already shed and I knew it wasn't needed for itchy skin....after the bath---lovey dovey puppy dog!!!
Now I give semi-regular baths to all of my snakes, and they all seem to really enjoy it. Personally, I think it is probably good exercise for them, and it also increases the time I spend handling them (which can't be bad), and they all seem much calmer after....well, except for my Thayri Kingsnakes, they are ALWAYS calm...LOL

~Beau

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google