CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

300g YEARLING??

Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #41
Haight
So I am pretty sure I have answered my own question now. I am confident that slinky will be over 300g by a year seeing as he just weighed in at 136 g at just over 6 months old, and he has put on 50g in the last 40 days.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #42
MegF.
I don't feed that often to any of my snakes...I guess if you're in a hurry to get a big snake for breeding, feeding an adult every week would work and every 5 days for a weanling mouse. With my snakes, babies on pinkies are fed every 5-7 days depending upon the species. Boas and pythons might go 10 days...better feeding responses. Anything over a pinky is fed every 7-10 days and adults are fed every 2-3 weeks.....When I stopped feeding so often, the snakes became more active, females didn't get egg bound, recovered faster and didn't have the "hips" that my other females got when fed weekly. My females mature at a much older age.....4-5 years old but I think they are healthier. I sincerely doubt that snakes in the wild reach mature breeding weight in 2-3 years and I think many captive snakes are overweight. Anyone who says their snakes are always in their hides and don't move are overfeeding. Mine are always out and moving....hunting....They are not thin but lean and muscular as they should be. Either you have an incredibly large snake or you're overfeeding if it's reached mature breeding weight by 1 year of age...even my 5 ft okeetees were not at breeding weight at 1 year old and I was still feeding weekly back then. And they were over 800 grams at maturity.....

Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #43
Haight
I feed Slinky every 8 days, and he is very active almost every night. I'm completely dumbfounded at how quickly he is growing. I've tracked all of the weight of his food and how much he has retained of that weight, and it is 48%. From what I've read that is about 18% more than the average.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #44
MegF.
I would not feed every 8 days then.....He's gaining more weight than is healthy...either he has something in his metabolism that makes him hold onto every bit of fat in the food or he just has an extremely slow metabolism that doesn't burn calories....you have to adjust to that. If I fed my boas or pythons a weanling rat every 8 days they'd be obese.....and if your snake is 300 grams he is large enough to eat a weanling rat or large adult mouse....

Old 02-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #45
MegF.
Sorry, can't edit anymore.....at 186 grams he's eating what? A hopper or weanling mouse or something bigger?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #46
Haight
He is 136g and is eating a 13-17g weanling now. He is lean and muscular too.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #47
MegF.
Because he's still young...if he's growing that rapidly it's like a snake that's being powerfed...whether you are or not. Once they get past the young growth rate the weight will stay on.....and obesity set in.....I'd feed a lot less often until you get a more stable growth rate to avoid fat when he gets to around 2 or 3 and slows down.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #48
Haight
Oh I definitely don't plan on feeding this often as he gets older and reaches a mature size.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #49
MegF.
I'd slow down now since you know he has a very slow metabolism that is holding on to everything he takes in....he's almost to half breeding weight before he's even half way to breeding age......

Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #50
Dragonling
Any updates on Slinky? Is he a 500g monster now?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google