CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

A survey for all!

Old 04-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
snakesurvey2016
A survey for all!

Hello fellow snake lovers!
First off let me introduce myself. I am a current third year veterinary student at the Royal Dick school for Veterinary studies located In Edinburgh Scotland, and I have a research project to do!
Why does this concern you? Because I want you (actually your snakes) to be a part of it. All I am asking is for you to take a couple measurements and answer a few questions about your snakes. A link to my survey is provided below along with a quick summary of my project.

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6ZJ33GL

Project Summary
I propose a simple answer the most commonly asked question that every new snake owner has, My snake is X length and Y weight, is this ok?
Through the use of owner surveys and in clinic patient measurements, my goal is to compile a range of weight and length measurements into an easy to use chart that acts as a basic indicator of how close or far away from average their pet snake is. Additional data such as girth, sex, age, and origin (captive or wild caught) will also be compiled for completeness.
Due to project time constraints I have chosen to narrow my project to the most commonly kept species, Pantherophis guttatus and the ball python (Python regius).
Depending on how successful I am in collecting data there is possibility of this becoming my own pet project and expanding it to other species as well. Of course the finished project will be shared with all those who are interested.

Alternately if you have multiple snakes you can submit your responses to snakesurvey2016@gmail.com

I am especially interested in hatchling up to two years old as that is where most of the growing is done, If you are a breeder I would love multiple measurements off of growing clutches.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
DollysMom
First of all, welcome to the forum. I do hope you will stick around and read current and past posts about corn snake husbandry here. There is a wealth of information if you want to learn more about the species in general and about how we actually care for our snakes in captivity.

There is a great need for reptile vets and I hope that you are considering becoming a reptile vet.

I do have a question and that is now do you propose getting the girth? I'm not sure I can get an accurate measurement, or any measurement at all of that on my juvenile female. I can't see her tolerating my holding a tape measure around her. I certainly can get weight as that's easy and I weigh her and her prey, regularly. Length is more problematic and most of us here use a web based estimator called Serpwidgets Snake Measurer to get an idea. If that is acceptable I will try to get the best measurements I can after she sheds.

Best wishes. Your project sounds interesting. It would be nice if you come back here and share your results.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum. I do hope you will stick around and read current and past posts about corn snake husbandry here. There is a wealth of information if you want to learn more about the species in general and about how we actually care for our snakes in captivity.

There is a great need for reptile vets and I hope that you are considering becoming a reptile vet.

I do have a question and that is now do you propose getting the girth? I'm not sure I can get an accurate measurement, or any measurement at all of that on my juvenile female. I can't see her tolerating my holding a tape measure around her. I certainly can get weight as that's easy and I weigh her and her prey, regularly. Length is more problematic and most of us here use a web based estimator called Serpwidgets Snake Measurer to get an idea. If that is acceptable I will try to get the best measurements I can after she sheds.

Best wishes. Your project sounds interesting. It would be nice if you come back here and share your results.
I've never attempted to check the girth of a snake before but did have a trick to get good measurements off of people I was making jewelry for, that would probably work decently with a snake.
Take a piece of string, wrap it around the widest section of the snake and then either hold your fingers at the point that the string met around the snake, or if you can, mark that spot with a marker. Then you can lay out the string along a ruler and get the measurement without having to try to read numbers while dealing with a wiggling snake.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
DollysMom
Good idea, Tavia. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
DollysMom, it's very simple actually.

Take a soft piece of string or thread. wrap it around the snake's biggest section. Pull the string snug but do not pull tight. Mark the string with your fingernail and snip it it off. Lay the string down and measure it with a tape measure.

I just did Rufus. And took the survey. For what it's worth he measures just over 3 inches at his biggest point.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
ooops.... sorry. I just noticed Tavia said the same thing

Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
DollysMom
No problem, Karl. Still appreciated. As soon as Cleo has shed I'll take the survey, too.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
snakesurvey2016
@DollysMom, measuring with a soft non stretchable string is the ideal way to get a length and girth. The girth data may not be used but was suggested as a point to collect by my project advisor.

Thank you to those who are participating! and I will for sure keep updates on the progress of my project.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
DollysMom
Thanks snakesurvey. Will do! She should shed any moment now. Her eyes are clear again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snakes, weight