• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake Racism.

So if I prefer strawberry ice cream over vanilla, that makes me a racist?

:eek1: wut

Let's not fight ignorance with ignorance.

Humans who lived in different areas of the world for thousands of generations adapted certain phenotypes that were advantageous to the conditions in those places. Recognizing that different races exist (subgroups of people based on appearances) is not racist, any more than it is sexist to recognize that there are two different genders or that there are certain differences or similarities between or within those groups.

This has nothing to do with racism, which is saying, "this race is superior to that race," or, "these people should be treated differently because of their race," or, "people of different races should not interbreed or intermarry."

Denying the obvious fact that people are different only fosters the idea that it is somehow "bad" for people to be different. It is every bit as ignorant as the racism it attempts to fight.

so its not racism is someone prefers one pattern on a snake to the other? meh I'm confused to much for my little brain to take in lol.
Nope, it isn't racism.

You are confusing taste with racism. Is it racist to like one kind of candy bar more than another? Is it racist to have a favorite color? Is it racist to like one song more than another, or to (gasp) dislike certain genres of music? Is it really necessary to extend this list? ;)

yeah suppose its all confusing but yeah you are right its a confusing topic well it is to me anyway lol oh well.

I am not trying to piss anyone off here, I know your understanding of genetics is amazing, thats why I just ordered your book :) , all im am trying to say is I dont think that racism is necessary in our world. I realize that there are personal preferences between corn snakes, prsonally I am not a big fan of normals, but hey, if I start breeding and end up with one that is possibly het for something I want thats not to say that I am not going to take care of it just the same as any other snakes I own. Any maybe I might find a colour variation or pattern that I rally like! WHo knows.

I know I got way :-offtopic with the whole human racism, it is just a pet peeve of mine that we are the human race so love thy brother and sister no matter what coolour they just happen to be.

And i am deffinitly not saying that preference is racism. Sorry to everyone that took me the wrong way and for those that didnt understand my opinion, but remember, it is just MY opinion.

And really off topic, but my exgirlfriend is Chinese, and I am a white guy. If we embraced at all downtown or near china town, we would get really bad looks for all sorts of people. But when I looked at here, i didnt see a different skin colour, I didnt see a different "race". I saw her! I didnt care if she whas white, black, yellow, purple or green. SHe was everything to me, it was her soul that I fell in love with, not the physical body around it. Anyway this is making me sad and I dont know why I just went off in a tangent, but yeah, recap, just my opinion thats all :)

Preference...not racism

All fruit is fruit...I bet you may prefer one and not touch another.
A vegetable is a vegetable...I bet you eat one often and disgust at another.
A snake is a snake...they come in all colors. Choose what you will, do not offend others.

:-offtopic
PssdffJay said:
Now, did you mean to say 'human races", pluralized it? B/c that is my point, one race, single, human race. lol, just my little pet peeve.

A for the leap, just a comparison, to try and make a point. :cheers:

That is not really true we are all the same species but not the same race. Race is used to discribe the different characteristics of humans from different reigons. If they classed humans the same way as animals I think that instead of different races we would have different subspecies.

Bubbles said:
Corn Snake Racism

Has anyone noticed people on the internet seam to like and dislike different morphs of corn snakes? for example a normal corn snake compared to a morphed one. People seam to care more about the morphs and hate the normal I don't see why. from my point of view a snake is a snake no matter what colour size or shape it is it is kind of like Racism for snake by downgrading them because of there colours and sizes I was just wondering what others peoples views on this topic is that's if you no what I am on about?

I personally have not seen anyone on this forum stating that any morph is better than any other. I do know that there are some people that are more interested in the new and developing morphs, but I think that is more because they are just that: NEW. Just like that cool new toy in the store you had to have when you were 6. It doesn't degrade all the older toys you have. I know that I am personally really attracted to the amels because of their bright colors. I am also a big fan of anerys and charcoals for their grey-ish tones. I'm not too big on the pattern mutations or the caramel gene, but that is because I like the "old" pattern and yellow is one of my least favorite colors. I would reference my signature, but it has changed a lot in the last few months. Of the 6 snakes that I currenyl own, 3 are normals. Also, I am holding back a normal and an amel from this years clutch.

As far as "downgrading because of size", this is a very important factor for most people on this site who breed their snakes, in which size is a TREMENDOUS factor. A small snake will be more likely to have breeding-related health issues than a larger snake will. This could potentially affect breeding plans/projects that people here have.

I did notice that you mentioned shape. Snakes being snakes have the same general shape, but there are some that develop, or are born with, kinks. Kinks can very well mean that there is an unknown genetic problem, which would be highly undesireable to pass down to offspring. Again, this can affect breeding plans/projects that a lot of people on here have.

Many of the things that are desireable to one person, may not be desireable to the next. I personally don't want a striped motley caramel snake, but that is only because I find them unattractive (though I think they are really cool). There are actually breeders here who focus solely/primarily on breeding normals from a specific region (generally the okeetee hunt club) or trying to bring out certain characteristics (border size, background/saddle brightness) that they tend to like in corns. That being said, there are also those that do the same with other genes, like amels. Instead of just having amels, there have been several projects with them to provide a wider variaty, which is exactly what some people do in lines of normals (note Abott's Okeetees).

What this whole post of ramblings is basically boiling down to is this:
It is not neccessarily that folks here are anti-normal, just that other factors are taken into account when they look at a snake, especially those that are looking for breeding snakes.

I've had better luck with moving the normals out! I noticed a marked preference for 'something colorful' as opposed to the snows and anerys I had available. (Mostly local sales, to new snake owners. They'll be wanting the morphs when the bug bites them I'm sure!)
:smash: Rant -I hate racism! I have a 1/2 hispanic background but I don't really look it. and have heard some really awful things about "those Mexicans" at past jobs and so forth. For one thing, not all spanish speaking people are from Mexico! &, It's a culture that really values hard work and family. So celebrate diversity in corns and people! :cheers:

Oddly enough, me and my 6 year old were having a discussion on "why people are a diffrent colors" about 2 weeks ago. Thanks to all this new knowlege of corn snakes i've built up since joining this site, i was able to use corns as a example. I explained the pigment types (we have one, corns have 3), the different morphs and thats its possible for several diffrent ones to come from the parents, ect ect.

I then realized that i had bored her to sleep.

I hope she retained a bit of what she heard, but if she didnt, at least i now know that corns are not only educational, but they can be used as a sedative.

no no, I am just saying why to all the racism, we are the human race! No need to discriminate due to genetic colour. depending on what you believe, big bang, creation, something else, we all could have started out as "normals" and thorugh the years developed different genetics, like corns. still a big leap there but my point is we are the human race! So where's the love?

Spoken like a true Canuck! Greetings from Ontario. :wavey:

I've always been taught that racism=hateful actions taken. Whether words, or whatever. I don't see people out killing normal cornsnakes because they aren't fancy, so I'm not sure what was meant by the opening post.

Still, my husband prefers grey/black/white snakes. I'm not a fan of red eyes. It's all cool though, means more amels for everyone else!

This thread was started 2 months before I joined this forum. Over 8 years ago.......
Who dug this up?

But put an $800 price tag on one of Rich's lavander bloodreds and you'd have people tearing out each others eyes to get to it!!! This is because there aren't so many available in the market. Mark my words, in 5 years, you'll be able to pick up a nice lavblood at a show for what you pay for a granite today.

Ah, the good old days!! Lavender bloodreds were priced at $800 in 2007, for a hatchling. I wanted one SOOO badly. Then Rich had a half price sale, $400, plus a surcharge for a lone female- that put one in the BARELY affordable, most expensive snake ever range for me.

In 2009 Hypo lavender stripes were priced at $900. I wanted one, but no way. I hoped for picking one up should Rich have a end of the season sale again. But no- he announced his retirement. They dropped to half price! Still- I couldn't quite swing it. THEN the madness of Daytona 2009. I picked up a pair of hypo lavender stripes for $200. For the pair!!

Price of plasmas in 2010 was...I'm not sure.

I know I was selling my very first home-bred one in 2011 for $125.

In 2013 I have them priced at $100.

I've encountered the opposite with people disliking the whole morph concept and preferring reptiles to remain as they would be found in the wild... as has already been said, there's a corn snake for everyone

I'm finding myself leaning that way with every show I attend.

Bins and bins of "jewelry" franken-snakes; mostly with corns, ball pythons, boas, not so much in other types like Mandarin Rats or Mexi Black Kings for examples.
The pure-blood (or locality herps as I assume they are called) are harder and harder to find as many vendors seem to be out to see who can breed a "prettier" corn/ball/boa than the next guy.

(Let's all hope the unsold uglies don't end up as monitor or mussie food...)

Anyway, I discovered that my "blingy" corn is someone's franken-corn, a super fantastic looking - but wholly un-natural and only worthy of making more mutt-corns for herp-show table traffic.

I later discovered my red-tail is also someone's franken-boa; resulting in a boa that is het for this, het for that, half BCI, half BCC - again; a mutt that is not pure enough for any serious breeder to desire.

Oh well, JMHO.

I think its more passive-aggressive than human racism, in the sense that normals as well as I think amels, anerys and snows are all included together in a kind of 'usual' bracket. People get way more excited about morphs other than the normals and the most common ones. You can tell just from the page hits of people posting pictures of their new snakes with a new thread.

I do love my normal Cleo, however for my 2nd snake I did really want a morph other than the most common ones, purely because I'm not going to get more than two and I wanted something different from what else is out there locally, a little more unusual.

I have always thought it amusing that so many people love okeetees because they are "natural" instead of mutant morphs. BUT - most want a selectively bred, super duper okeetee that bears little resemblance to any of the wild ones I have seen in Jasper County. After generations of selecting and breeding together the most beautiful animals available, I can't say they are really more "natural" than any of those mutant morphs, even though they don't have any visible recessive traits. People are funny sometimes, lol!

When I first discovered corn snakes last December I visited Damon's site and fell in love with a female fire corn. I also liked the butter, but had never laid eyes on an orange and red snake! I purchased Scarlett from him, planning on buying a butter when I could convince my husband, but a rescue amel stripe fell in my lap and he needed a home. Now I have two orange and red corns whom I love dearly, but have fallen hard for the normals, their brown coloring and patterns have really gotten to me after seeing so many other morphs out there. Before, I would (and did) pass right by a brown snake for sale. Now I just have to convince the husband of ONE more snake...for now!

Racism? Nah, just what you think is attractive and desirable to you at that particular time, or maybe forever.

Back