• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Field herping: Photographing flighty snakes

TrpnBils

22 is not enough snakes
Something that has made me screw up otherwise good shots on several occasions while in the field is when a snake that has been recently uncovered decides it wants to A) Get away, or B) Take my face off. This is usually a problem with flightier species like garters and black rats up this way, and this technique that I read about last year sometime seems to do the trick.

If you can move the snake away from any potential hiding spots, do so. Then give him a hiding spot...such as a small flowerpot or something turned upside down. Sometimes they crawl inside, sometimes they don't, but when they do, they usually end up in a nice coil and calm down quite a bit once you uncover them again. It sets up perfectly for a good picture if you do it right.

Leather gloves do a fantastic job.
I normally wear them to have a little protection against hidden vipers and so on...

That's how I used to do it too, but I'm impatient and I hate having to wait for it to calm down. Now I just let the snake and the flowerpot do their respective things and I use my free time to set up my tripod, camera, etc.

There's no right or wrong way though, and no one way will work for every situation so just go with whatever happens to be working at the moment.

Back