• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My new website

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some will question whether this post comes under the "Come Look At My Site" category. Posts drawing traffic away from this site are prohibited, although one may post a link to one's site in one's signature.

I view is as an invitation to view a new website (not a forum) under development, for the purpose of suggestions and critique. Other mods/Rich may view it differently.

My first suggestion would be, please proofread your caresheet section for typos! I noticed several when I skimmed through.

Thank you! I am editing them now. Check out my videos please and let me know what you think. If the mods fell it is taking away from this site I am sorry. Being it is not a forum I didn't think It would be a problem.

I agree with Nanci, lots of typos and grammatical errors on the care sheet pages. Just something to review and polish before publishing. A professional feel will gain you more people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your videos would be improved if you had little to no camera motion. Can you use a tripod and a fixed area? In your feeders video for example, it was _really_ motion-y and out of focus, or just looking off into space.

It would be _better_ if you had your studio area set up, with the camera focused on your table. Then bring your animal(s) to that area and start recording when you are all ready, and the animal is in the field of view.

Taking the house snake video for example. I think you could use a set area, and have the snake out and ready to go. Then, before you even start, make a script about the points you want to cover. Like an outline. You don't have to write down word for word, even- just the subjects.

African House Snakes

I. Natural Range

II. Care in Captivity

A. Caging Requirements

1. size of viv
2. substrate
3. temperature

B. Diet

C. Temperament

So you can glance at that to keep on track, but talk informally about each topic, in an orderly fashion, not just off the top of your head.

You can aim the camera at the snake in the video set, as you handle it. People aren't going to care about looking at you, except maybe at the end in the credits.

You can keep any props you need next to you, also, and bring them into your set as needed. (Temp gun, substrate, hides, whatever).

Jake, I would be happy to proofread and edit the written portions of your site. I was an English minor and proofreading is one of my better talents! Let me know, I will proof it and send you a copy in a PM if you are interested. And no charge for a fellow member!

-Michelle

I love you, Frog! You make me feel like a 20 year old again!!! (Oh, and psst, pointe ballet was another of my talents! Oh, up on those toes!!!)

Something I am NOT patient with is waiting, so Jake, I went ahead and proofed your entire website. I sent it in a PM. I LOVED doing it, I don't get to proof many things I am passionate about! Use some, all or none, I hope at least some of it helps, and it won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it or use it.

BTW, Jake, you are so cute! I just watched your videos, and for some reason I thought you were older, I guess because most of us here are over 20 and you are extremely well spoken about your snakes. Sorry if I embarrassed you, but you are cute!

Thank you for all your kind words. I am getting a tri pod soon. I have been using the dragon writing software and that stuff miss spells words all the time. My mom who has a spelling major and my uncle who has a Phd in computers is coming over to upgrade and check everything for me. Btw the only reason I get to post now is because I am home schooled and I am using my half hour of rest time now.

Jake,
Nice job on the website !
It's great to see you have such passion for herpetology.

Good advice to make your site even better. I look forward to checking it out again.

My Signature is in reference to guys and gals like you. Keep on absorbing all you can. There are a lot of good teachers of this forum :)

I love you, Frog! You make me feel like a 20 year old again!!! (Oh, and psst, pointe ballet was another of my talents! Oh, up on those toes!!!)

Ha Ha ha ha....Toes are another topic for me and another type of forum altogether.

Jake you have done a wonderful job, I've looked several times...

my signature reference's my site as well...not advertising, just showing Jake how to put his website in his signature, LOL

Once again thanks for all the help. I just got a new camera so my old videos will be replaced with better ones. I hope to add a few more page including one for corn snakes and other animals for sale. My other pages have been much better thanks to smigon who spell checked everything for me and reworded a few thing.

Thank you! I am editing them now. Check out my videos please and let me know what you think. If the mods fell it is taking away from this site I am sorry. Being it is not a forum I didn't think It would be a problem.

OK, this has gone on long enough. You are missing the point.

In short, please don't post them on this site. They contribute nothing to this site I have set up here, and it sort of insults me when people come and post here solely to try to draw off people to their own website. If you have a new website you want to advertise, then I DO offer paid banners here and on my other sites you are welcome to take advantage of.

Such threads will be unceremoniously deleted whenever they are found, so please don't waste my or your time posting them.

Yeah, I know. You are thinking, well HOW am I going to get people to know about my website? Yep, that's a problem. One I face with every new website I put up. Generally speaking, you have to PAY for exposure and traffic these days. That's the only thing I have found that seems to work, but even then, it does take a long time before traffic becomes appreciable.

Sorry.

Why would anyone pay to advertise their site here with banner ads if they could simply post a thread such as you are doing? Why would anyone post useful information here if they could simply post a link to their own site to try to get more traffic in that manner? That is a rhetorical question, of course, not an introduction to a discussion here about the matter. I'm merely closing this thread now, but expect it to be deleted next time I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back