• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Corn Snake

kelly7

Please help us! My six year old got a one year old corn snake for his birthday January 22nd. He ate the first week with no problem.
We just threw the mouse in his cage. He should of ate on Saturday Jan 31. We put the mice in and have also tried dangeling
him in front of the snake but he won't take it. What should we do?
Someone told us if we leave him in with the snake the mice would
pick at the snakes skin. Last night the mice and snake were lying
side by side like they were best friends!!! My six year old loves his snake we don't want anything to happen to him. How would we know if he was sick? Should we be concerned? I was so excited to find out about this website.

Thank You

K.

Hi and welcome. I wouldn't be so concerned about him not eating. He may not have been hungry. Snakes can go a while without eating. If he were mine I would change him over to frozen/thawed mice. Feeding live can be dangerous for the snake. Most Corns will happily take pre-killed food. In the mean time don't leave a live rodent in with the snake. If he doesn't kill and eat it right away remove the rodent.

I would suggest that you get a copy of The Corn Snake Manuel by Bill & Kathy Love. It's a wonderful book that covers about everything there is on Corns:D

Can you give us some additional information? Trying to figure out what could be the cause is not a simple thing.

1) When was the snake's last shed? It is common for snakes to refuse a meal when they are shedding.

2) What are the temperatures in the snake's enclosure?

3) what size mice are you feeding the snake?

4) Was the snake eating live mice when you got it?

Back