CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Buying Fuzzies Online?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Rilee
Buying Fuzzies Online?

Ok, so I'm no expert cornsnake owner so I apologize if my questions sound stupid, but I'm just curious. So I've always bought my fuzzies from petco without a problem, and there still isn't a problem, but now I am looking to buy online as I will be having two more cornsnakes coming into my family soon(It'd be easier to have a stock of feeders instead of buying packages of three every week from petco, plus I heard there cheaper...). But here are my questions: Do you purchase your feeders online? Who would you recommend buying from? Including the shipping cost, would you say buying online for cheaper mice is still worth it?

Another thing that I am curious about is how much I even order. As far as my knowledge goes, online fuzzies come in packages of 50, minimum. Is that enough for 3 snakes to feed on until they move up into hoppers? Or is that too much? Would I buy just one package of 50 fuzzies, or would I buy 2, 3? I'm just wandering how much I would buy because it would be a shame to have to buy all those fuzzies only for my snakes to move on to hoppers before finishing them, thus wasting the feeders.

NOTE: I feed weekly every Wednesday

Sorry for all of my questions, but thanks for the help!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
HVani
I have been looking to order online but I'm going to wait until my snakes are bigger (I have 3). The 2 youngest ones went through fuzzies very quickly. It wasn't too long after going on fuzzies that they started growing really fast and were on hoppers.

Once all my snakes are on small adults I hope to be able to order them online.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
kc261
If you do end up with too many fuzzies, you can just offer 2 fuzzies at a time to get them used up.

I haven't looked into the prices recently because I breed my own feeders, but last I checked the shipping on frozen rodents was quite expensive. I'm not sure it will be worthwhile for only 3 snakes. I've heard of some people having success getting together with another local herper and placing a group order. What I used to do before I started raising my own feeders was to stock up at reptile shows. It was fun to go and look even when I didn't intend to buy (except feeders) and the price of admission was less than shipping.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
MysticExotics
They're going to grow at different rates. 50 would give you 16 feedings for the three. That may or may not be enough before you move up to hoppers.
It wouldn't hurt to order more than you think you need, you can feed them off to them until you use them up, even if they're ready to move up in size.

I like Layne Labs, and order through them. They're on the west coast, so shipping is less for me, and their quality is really good. You can order smaller quantities through Layne Labs than some other places.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Rilee
Thank you all for answering! There is a Reptile Expo coming up this Sunday where I live, so I think I'll just take Kc261's advice and see what feeders I can find their. If no luck, than I'll just go to Layne Labs then and buy a package of 50, or I might even wait until they are adults before purchasing online if they really grow that fast.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilee View Post
Ok, so I'm no expert cornsnake owner so I apologize if my questions sound stupid, but I'm just curious. So I've always bought my fuzzies from petco without a problem, and there still isn't a problem, but now I am looking to buy online as I will be having two more cornsnakes coming into my family soon(It'd be easier to have a stock of feeders instead of buying packages of three every week from petco, plus I heard there cheaper...). But here are my questions: Do you purchase your feeders online? Who would you recommend buying from? Including the shipping cost, would you say buying online for cheaper mice is still worth it?

Another thing that I am curious about is how much I even order. As far as my knowledge goes, online fuzzies come in packages of 50, minimum. Is that enough for 3 snakes to feed on until they move up into hoppers? Or is that too much? Would I buy just one package of 50 fuzzies, or would I buy 2, 3? I'm just wandering how much I would buy because it would be a shame to have to buy all those fuzzies only for my snakes to move on to hoppers before finishing them, thus wasting the feeders.

NOTE: I feed weekly every Wednesday

Sorry for all of my questions, but thanks for the help!
maybe this will help for sourcing.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131920

Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
MysticExotics
It could be a year or so before they're on Adults. They do tend to grow fast once they're past hoppers, but it's hard to say.
Expos are a good place to pick up feeders as well. You can get a small amount, or larger amount.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Nanci
Big Cheese's mice are varied in size, so if you bought a pack of fuzzies you'd have fuzzies and pinks. If you bought hoppers you'd have hoppers and fuzzies. If you bought weaneds, you'd ahve weaned and hoppers. If you buy adults, you'll have medium adults, small adults and weaned. I think I'd buy a pack of hoppers and a pack of weaned. Even a pack of adults- they are vacuum sealed and last quite a long time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google