CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Snake Being a Bugger

Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
cornsnakegirl
Snake Being a Bugger

So, my snake Peaches was supposed to feed Mar. 16th, but didn't so I assumed she was going into shed - which she did. She finally came out of shed on the 26th, so I tried to feed her that day however she didn't eat. I figured "eh, too soon after I guess" so I've waited a couple days and fed her tonight (30th) but again she hasn't eaten.

I've now the same thing I was told to do when she was a baby (a year and half ago) and left her in her feeding bin for overnight tonight. She's in her tank tho, with the heat lamp making a hot and cold side of the bin (She has a heat pad, not just a lamp).

Should this fail, what else should I try? She ignores the mouse completely like it's not there, and she must be hungry. I've poked holes in the mouse each time I've tried to feed her.

I'm not worried just yet, would just appreciate some input and ideas Thanks for reading!

This is her a month ago

Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
cornsnakegirl
Whoops wrong link here's the picture, not a great one but I wanted a current one

Old 03-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
DuxorW
My bloodred corn does this sometimes. After shedding he can take 3-4 weeks to feed again. I just offer once a week until he takes it. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you as long as she seems otherwise healthy.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Nanci
With an adult (with any snake, actually) if they don't eat that week, I just wait till the next scheduled feeding. I feed everyone in containers, and if they haven't eaten in an hour or so (except for a couple that take their time) I just put them back and wait till next time. With an adult, that's going to be 10 to 14 to even 21 days.

If this is the first time your snake has refused (not content before the shed, that's really normal) I'd just not worry about it. If you try again in a week or ten days, then heat the mouse really hot, really dry it, maybe cut a couple slits in the back, then put it in a container, maybe with a towel over it, and leave her alone for an hour or two.

Some adults go on feeding strike this time of year, in the breeding season. It's more common with males, but females will, too. I have a male who is on a three week schedule, who refused last time, but I offered him again this week with the 14-dayers, and he refused again! So now his next chance is a week from Saturday when I get home from vacation. Of course, you should be documenting the snake's weight so you know if she is losing weight, and at what rate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google