CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Eve - Cape african house snake

Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #21
DollysMom
I was posting when you posted the stuffed cobra pics. Totally adorable!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #22
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I find it difficult to get pics of Clyde's head. Yes they do stretch up, really really far. And to top it Clyde stretches and then climbs right up over my phone changing the settings on the touch screen, lol!

Does Eve grip your fingers really tight? I have had Clyde in both hands gripping my fingers so tight it is like being handcuffed, lol!
It's funny but whenever I read anything you're writing about Clyde I'm always nodding right along. Eve always comes straight over the top of the phone and hits the touch screen and changes settings too! And I've used that exact description, holding her is like wearing self-adjusting handcuffs. She holds on so tight and she is so strong!

And yes, I got her from a breeder in Calgary, Alberta, who got her and some clutchmates from a breeder in Lethbridge, Alberta. So I don't even actually know the name of the person who has her parents, only the breeder I bought her from.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #23
DollysMom
Lol. Eve sounds like Clyde's twin. I love Eve's markings and eyelines.

Someday we'll need to teach Eve and Clyde to take selfies!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #24
Tavia
Eve is very pretty! She is very dark too.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
albertagirl
Quote:
Lol. Eve sounds like Clyde's twin. I love Eve's markings and eyelines.

Someday we'll need to teach Eve and Clyde to take selfies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Eve is very pretty! She is very dark too.
Thank you! She and my cinder are my favorites, I really like the dark snakes! She has a bit more of a pattern than some of the other house snakes I've seen, but it seems to only be apparent from certain angles.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #26
albertagirl
Eve had a perfect shed last night at 65% humidity. This is only her second or third perfect shed since I got her, so we are still working out the details, but it's nice to know 75% is not actually required. It's hard to keep humidity that high in Alberta in the winter, when the ambient humidity is 10% at best.
In 3 more weeks she will be getting her adult size cage, and she is more than ready for it. She's still doing really well in the 10 gallon, but it's starting to look just a little cramped when she can have her head in her cool hide while her tail is still in her warm hide. Haha

Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #27
DollysMom
Clyde is currently in a 10 gallon and he will eventually be moving up to a 20 long. Knowing that Clyde will stay smaller than your girl, what size is her new home?

Congrats on the perfect shed. How often does Eve shed? Clyde was sheds every month but the interval has been lengthening a bit.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #28
albertagirl
Quote:
Clyde is currently in a 10 gallon and he will eventually be moving up to a 20 long. Knowing that Clyde will stay smaller than your girl, what size is her new home?

Congrats on the perfect shed. How often does Eve shed? Clyde was sheds every month but the interval has been lengthening a bit.
I will be moving her into a 2'x2' cage, but I'm prepared to switch her and the corns around if necessary. They are currently in 3'x2' cages, and some of them are so lazy the space is rarely used. Since house snakes are so much faster, I feel like more room might be nice if she ends up being close to the same size and more active.

Could a male stay in a 10 gallon their whole lives? I will have an empty 10 gallon once she is moved, and while I'm not really looking to fill it, I do wonder once in a while about whether it would be big enough for an adult male housie. I think my hognose will probably be good in the other 10 gallon as an adult, but I'm not positive. I'll be playing that one by ear. Not knowing gender doesn't help.

Eve sheds every month. I'm always a little suprised when she goes blue, it always seems like she JUST shed, but then I check the calendar and it's been a month. I wonder how she can outgrow a skin so fast when she's only had 4 or 5 meals?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #29
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
I will be moving her into a 2'x2' cage, but I'm prepared to switch her and the corns around if necessary. They are currently in 3'x2' cages, and some of them are so lazy the space is rarely used. Since house snakes are so much faster, I feel like more room might be nice if she ends up being close to the same size and more active.

Could a male stay in a 10 gallon their whole lives? I will have an empty 10 gallon once she is moved, and while I'm not really looking to fill it, I do wonder once in a while about whether it would be big enough for an adult male housie. I think my hognose will probably be good in the other 10 gallon as an adult, but I'm not positive. I'll be playing that one by ear. Not knowing gender doesn't help.

Eve sheds every month. I'm always a little suprised when she goes blue, it always seems like she JUST shed, but then I check the calendar and it's been a month. I wonder how she can outgrow a skin so fast when she's only had 4 or 5 meals?
A 2x2 will be very roomy for her. Yes, a male can stay in a 10 gallon his whole life, but like a corn staying in a 20 long it is a minimum. After Cleo moves to her adult digs, there will be no reason not to give Clyde more room.

I don't know about the hoggie. I've heard that they can stay in a 10, but I'm really clueless there.

I know it's only two data points but I think it's more common than not for growing housies to shed frequently. It surprised me at first but now I'd be worried I he didn't shed.

Well best wishes with Eve. I'm looking forward to more updates. Even though this is a corn snake site it is my favorite place about snakes overall so I like there being another housie to follow!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #30
Tavia
Your hog is the tricolor, right? A male? For him, yes a 10 is plenty as they tend to spend most of their time buried in the substrate and aren't generally super active. A 10 is often recommended for adult male Western hogs too but at least with mine, they are quite active all day and make good use of whatever space given, so I tend to think Westerns should be given more room.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google