CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Housing corns please read.

Old 07-04-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
LindsayMarie
Housing corns please read.

I know I have asked this question a few times on other forums but I thought I would try here in hopes of a bigger response

I want to find enclosures to use for the reptile room that will last a lifetime and look nice! But still be in my budget! So, I was wondering what everyone else uses here to house their corns? I guess I would like to take a survey/poll. If you can say what type of housing you use and what you like and dislike about it that would be great!

I will be extremely greatful to whomever replies to this post Its hard to make a big decision like this without feedback from others experience! Thank you, Lindsay

ps. The cages will be used to house all kinds of reptiles, but especially corns and bearded dragons.

Old 07-04-2002, 09:13 AM   #2
Katie
I use rubbermaids and aspen shavings for my corns. I don't think this would work as well for lizards or more arboreal snakes though......

I like the rubbermaids because they're easy to clean, cheap, and plentiful. And it's pretty easy to build a rack system for use with rubbermaids. Oh, and the tops are easy to secure. I've seen them used for lizards a few times though. People had built like wire mesh dome tops for them to make them higher. I can't see this being big enough for a beardie though...

On the other hand, they're not exactly pretty and I'm constantly having to tell people "no, it's not cruel at all, yes they have enough space, yes she likes it in there, etc". People ask a TON of questions about them which is cool, it just gets a little old after awhile.

Old 07-04-2002, 09:58 AM   #3
Hope H
Smile

I'm switching from tanks to rubbermaids as we speak. I found great rubbermaid containers that are the same size as 20 gallon long tanks. I'm building my racks today, already have the wood cut thanks to Lowes. So much lighter and easier to keep clean. I use news paper for my Balls and Aspen for my Corns. My rack is going to be 3' Wide and 5' High with 4 Shelves.

Old 07-04-2002, 10:05 AM   #4
Jr Nimeskern
I also am using a rack system with rubbermaid sweater boxes... they are really easy to clean and you can house alot of corns in a single area... I use 10gal and 20gal for my corns that I have in quarantine! other then that I also use aspen for my substrate... like Katie said... this isnt exactly pretty but sometimes you have to sacrafice for quanity...

Old 07-04-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
Garrett__16
I prefer my 20 gal aquarium. I don't like rubbermaids because I use a heat lamp and a nice fitting lid it hard to find for rubbermaids. Aquariums are superior.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:20 AM   #6
Elaphe_Mo
I'm in the process of building a melamine rack for some rubbermaids right now. Tanks look nicer for a while but when you have 10 or more laying around your house, all of a sudden having one nice rack seems like a really good idea.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:33 AM   #7
Katie
Well, like I said, rubbermaids are cheap and easy and the more money I save on enclosures the more corns I can have!!

Old 07-05-2002, 03:41 PM   #8
pdrau
Just FYI, I am working on a design to use a commonly available building material as a framework for a rubbermaid rack. I am probably going to still use melamine as the shelving, but the rack will be adjustable and lighter weight. It will also be able to be taken apart for easier shipping. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

I'm currently using aquariums, but need to expand, so sterlite/rubbermaid containers are in the works.

Peter

Old 07-05-2002, 07:48 PM   #9
skylark711
Interested in new type of rack

Peter, I look forward to hearing more about your rack design. As I move from apartment to apartment, this seems like a better route to go. Much Luck to you!

Shannon

Old 07-05-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
Jr Nimeskern
Hey Peter forget that PM I just sent you... LOL... looks like you have everything under control I am also intrested in your new design as soon as your done... The rack I made is basic and its VERY HEAVY!!! but thats why I have a dolly...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google