CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

PLEASE READ THIS.

Old 07-15-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
snakemanone
PLEASE READ THIS.

Hiya all.

Are re-thawed mice poisonous?????.read on if you think not......i had never fed re-thawed mice before, i dont know why i just didnt think it right, anyway after reading (here and on other sites) i though i would re-freeze mice if they were'nt eaten within a couple of hours,sorry to waffle on but yesterday i fed my male corn snake(17 months old)an adult mouse, upon returning from work today i went into my shed to check all my snakes as per usual,only this time i found a regurgitated mouse in my males viv along with 1 very dead snake(boy am i p***** off) can anyone shed any light for me regarding this,thank god he just fathered 15 eggs,i just hope they are fertile,he was a handsome snake too,i'm at a loss as to what has happened..........ARE RE-THAWED MICE DEADLY OR NOT,IF NOT, WHAT CAUSED THE DEATH OF MY SNAKE, he was healthy 24 hours ago.

A VERY P***** OFF HERPER.............................STEVE.:confused :

Old 07-15-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
Unhappy

Steve,

I have, occassionally, fed a re-frozen/thawed mouse, but I have never seen any ill-effects other than a snake turn its nose up at the offer. Is it possible that the mouse you ofered your snake was still somewhat frozen? That might have caused what you're describing, but I am at a loss otherwise! Sorry for your snake's passing.

Darin

Old 07-15-2002, 04:20 PM   #3
snakemanone
mice

hi Darin.

Thanx 4 ur response,in answer to ur question the said mouse was left to thaw at room temp 4 about 4 hours, it felt soft right though.

.................................................. .steve.

Old 07-15-2002, 05:03 PM   #4
SilverTongue
Well I dont know about the mouse situation but if you left raw hamburger meat to thaw out in the open for 4 hours put it in the cage for X amount of time and then refroze it and then thawed it again for 4 hours then it will have had time to grow enough bacteria to make sick or even kill a human. So compare that to a snake. It probably did not have a chance I am sorry hun. I wouldnt refreeze anything not cooked. Not that you want to cook your mice. My snake is still on pinkies, but I think it would be worth the cost tobuy another mouse nomatter how much they cost. Perhaps there was something wrong with it in the first place and your snake sensed it. But was more hungry the 2nd time around. Who knows. There is nothing you can do other then buy from a different mouse breeder, and not refreeze your mice.

Again I am sorry

Old 07-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
miamijuan3
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SNAKE. I'VE FED MY SNAKE REFROZEN FUZZIES BEFORE WITH NO PROBLEM, BUT I WONT DO IT AGAIN....MAYBE THE MOUSE ATE SOMETHING POISON BEFORE HE WAS FROZEN THE FIRST TIME. JUST A THOUGHT.

Old 07-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #6
CornCrazy
I'm sorry for your loss

I personally never refreeze my mice. If my snake won't eat it right away, then I will place the mouse in a ziploc bag and refrigerate it for a day or two. After that, the mouse gets trashed if none of my snakes want it. I agree with SilverTongue, leaving your mouse out for that long gives bacteria a chance to grow. I usually thaw my mice in a cup of warm water. Also, I wouldn't leave the mouse in the cage with the snake for a couple of hours...especially outside in a shed (due to the heat). If the snake doesn't want the mouse within a few minutes, then I would take it out, refrigerate it, and try again a day or two later.

Old 07-15-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
pinatamonkey
I refreeze mice sometimes and don't have any problems, but then again, I don't thaw my mice at room temp. I think it would be safe (well, safer) to feed refrozen-thawed mice if the mice were only thawed for a short amount of time, and thawed quickly

But, even if the mouse got kind of nasty and had bacteria, I don't think that the snake would die so fast . Really sounds more like a toxin than bacteria from a mouse? If a person ate some meat with bacteria, they don't just keel over and die in a day - they show some signs first...a snake would probably feel the effects faster, but I'm not an expert...

Old 07-22-2002, 09:12 AM   #8
Katie
I agree with pinatamonkey on this one. I don't think that a snake would just die like that in one day either. Of course, I'm no vet but it doesn't seem likely. Seems more like the snake had something wrong with it (thus, the regurge) and died from that. Of course, you say it was healthy when you put the mouse in there. I think this would be worth studying (by a vet or other qualified person) but it's probably too late for that. Ah well, sorry about your loss.

P.S. Sorry no posts lately but just started a new job and have been very busy!

Old 07-22-2002, 10:25 AM   #9
bmm
hello

I do not believe the mouse killed your snake. I have on occasion fed re-thawed mice and have had no problems. But you thawed for 4 hours? That's a really long time! My mice take about 30 minutes to thaw and about another five to be eaten!

But I really don't believe your snake ate this mouse, then died right after eating it.

bmm

Old 07-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
snakemanone
dehydration

Hi BMM.

Thanks for your reply but i've since had my corn checked by a vet and although i change the water every other day she said it died of dehydration,i personaly think if that had been the case i would have noticed,(you know wrinkly skin or something).

Still shant feed refrozen/thawed mice or pinks.

THANX AGAIN FOR REPLYING...................STEVE.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google