CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

tank cooling

Old 04-17-2002, 11:51 AM   #1
kenalotia
Question tank cooling

Yesterday it got pretty warm around here. Outdoors the temperature was around 82F. Normally I turn on a light on top of my snake's tank which heats up one side by about 10 degrees.

Well, we just moved into a new house in January, so I didn't know about how hot the room would get. The temperature in the room was 82 degrees when I got home from work at 5. The light was on in the tank, and it was up to 95 degrees on the warm side and around 85 on the cool (yeah, right) side. Normally it's about 85 on the warm side. I'm worried it'll be like this all summer. Does anyone else ever have to worry about tank cooling? I could just leave the light off, but the tank doesn't get very much sun most of the time and I don't want to leave Frank in the dark all day long.

I suppose an air conditioner might solve the problem for Frank and for the human inhabitants of the room. :-)

Old 04-17-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
sue frederick
Definitely kill the light. You can use a regular fluorescent light if you want to light up the tank, as they don't give off any heat. Don't get the special reptile fluorescent lights, as the snake doesn't need it. One of my friends has a little fluorescent light that is battery powered, so you don't even need any electricity to run it.
sue

Old 04-17-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Simon
an air con is good....if you don't have enough space you can always try installing it at my house.........but really they are very expensive, why would you need one when you can do something else........I would get one if I had the money.....hahahah

do what sue said, turn off the lights. As the lights will increase the temp and at the same time decrease the humidity level.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-17-2002, 03:34 PM   #4
kenalotia
Actually, we already have a window air conditioner we can use. We just hadn't put it in because it's only April. Even if we didn't, I think we'd be getting one, though, since the room seems to get as hot as it is outside.

The lights were great for winter and early spring, but it seems way too hot for them now. Or at least until we put the air conditioner in. :-)

Old 04-17-2002, 05:19 PM   #5
nicky
k how about

k here's what ya SHOULD DO first like someone said kill the light second try misting his cage twice a day one befor you go to work and one after that way your corn can cool off also provide him a bath 3 times a week that way he won't get to hot open the windows mybe put a fan by his cage a little breeze won't do ay harm.

Old 04-17-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
CornsnakeKeeper
Here, it can get pretty hot in the summer. I just unplug their heatmat altogether. I don't use lights though, but I'd suggest removing that as well. It gets way too hot with a heat source.

Old 04-17-2002, 08:17 PM   #7
kenalotia
The lights were the only heat source I was using. It was doing just fine all winter and spring up until yesterday when it just got so hot! I've been misting already. He's got a water bowl big enough that he can go swimming in his tank if he wants. The window next to the tank was wide open to let in a breeze. It still got just as hot in there today. So no lights. At least not until we put in the air conditioner. If the weather continues like this, it'll be really soon!

Old 04-17-2002, 08:30 PM   #8
Missymonkey
don't fret the sweat

don't fret too much, the corns out in the "wild" don't have air conditioners, and they all seem to do fine. and if you do put a fan near your cages, don't point it directly into the cage, this could affect the humidity and if your corn can't escape the breeze it might catch a cold.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google