CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

just read it ,,,lol

Old 01-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Wa$ted
Angry just read it ,,,lol

well recently ( 2 weeks) ive changed my snake's tank,,so anyway i used to use a heating pad but now i just use a light

temperature is fine at day ,,80-85 and there is a cool side,,,but at night,,,i turn off the light,,the temp. reaches 70 ,,,,

IS IT OKAY ,,,or Not?

Old 01-11-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
sue frederick
I would want to see the night-time temps just a bit higher (maybe 75). You can use a red heat bulb in your fixture all the time and it won't bother the snake at all. That way your night-time temps won't get so low. But this is just my opinion.
sue

Old 01-12-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Jon
"sue frederick" when u say red heat bulb to u mean an infa-red bulb or just a red coloured bulb becase i have the same problem and would like to sort it out. Also are there any better ways of heating a viv other than a bulb because i have mine on a thermo stat and it flicks on and off every 15 or so minutes but i have a red bulb in my fixing so do u think my snake would nitice the light going on and off.

Jon

Old 01-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
bmm
yes

Use and undertank heating pad. You can use one for humans even set on a thermastat and it works wonderfully. I use that same setup for my ball python.

bmm

Old 01-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Jon
thanx ofr your help bmm

Old 01-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
sphinx
why

do people use bulbs to heat there vivs in my opinion heat mats are so much easier and cheaper!!

Old 01-13-2003, 03:13 PM   #7
Alicia
Re: why

Quote:
Originally posted by sphinx
do people use bulbs to heat there vivs in my opinion heat mats are so much easier and cheaper!!
I use them thru the winter on my set ups that are in my living room. We keep our home cool and at night the uth doesn't keep it warm enough.

In most cases the uth alone is probably fine. But, I would hesitate to tell someone that's all they need without knowing what their temps are. Lights can fill in a void when additional heat is needed.

The temps in my snake room are different and the heat tape or uth devices work great.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #8
sphinx
fair point

i suppose some people keep their houses fairly cool,my wife feels the cold so she likes it hot, so for me a heat mat works fine.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:07 AM   #9
MikeK
Cool heat requirements

I have a medium size heat pad underneath the Hot side of the tank, and I have a IR 100 watt running on a timer.
I feed Mel and Gru on Saturday night,
and then I leave the IR lamp on for 3 days straight, and then I put it back in timer, so from 5 to 5pm each day.

I save money shutting it down parts of the week, but I know the tank is 85 while they are digesting food.

Mel has always been so slow and easy. Ate first nite I had him, and has been great, never afraid (I think breeder held him alot). Now Gru is a horse of a different color....he is FAST and wants to
get away all the time....I will go slow, I have not held him sence I got him, except to transfer to box. Tomorrow night I will spend some time with Him on my lap....slow and steady!

Old 01-14-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Jon
What heat source would u surgest to heat a 3 ft by 1 ft tank as at the moment i have a 2ft by 1ft tank but am getting ready to ghange over to the bigger tank. For my 2ft tank at the moment i have a 60w heat bulb. Would u sergest a heat mat or a bulb for the bigger thank, as i have got the thermostat and everything. When i asked at my local reptile shop they said that ir bulbs can be difficult as as they fluctuate in temerature, cost alot to run and cost a lot to buy. Would u dissagree with this on ir bulbs. plz help if u can

Jon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google