CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

So, the whole clutch isn't eating...

Old 08-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
J.Catherine
So, the whole clutch isn't eating...

2 week old, 1 week post shed -- every time I put a brained pinkie in with them they act scared of it.

On heatmats that bring the hot side of their individual tubs up to 28 deg c, paper towels down and plastic cup hides (one of them has tennis ball hides tho)

What am I doing wrong? Surely the whole clutch can't be non feeders? It has to be something to do with me?

Old 08-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Shiari
How often have you offered? You shouldn't offer more than every 3 to 5 days. Also, how long are you leaving the pinks in with the snakes?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
J.Catherine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
How often have you offered? You shouldn't offer more than every 3 to 5 days. Also, how long are you leaving the pinks in with the snakes?
Offering maybe every 4 days? Definitely not less.

And overnight (I try feeding at 7ish). By that point they're starting to smell so I remove them.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
crackerhead
May I ask why did you start with brained pinks? Or did you first try F/T and then tried brained? Given that you said they were only 1 week post shed, I would think you have only attempted feeding them 2X at most. (I don't even attempt to feed until a week after the post hatch shed. I've had the best the best results that why.)
I don't think it's time yet to get worried or try anything drastic. Some hatchlings, especially the bigger ones, take longer to fully absorb their yolk and then feel the need to eat. You could try the "boiled" pinks approach if you are feeling that they are failing heathwise. Also washing the pinks in a mild soap like Ivory before feeding helps. I find that feeding them singularly in a deli cup for the first feeding works well; no distractions.
Good Luck,
Terri

Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
J.Catherine
Ah, no sorry -- I brained the pinkie after there was zero interest the second time I tried feeding them.

And I have been trying to feed since they first shed since I was told that's when you start -- thank you for correction, I'm less worried now.

They've definitely still grown quite a bit since they hatched (one of them fled the box while I was changing the towel the other day so I had to do quickly try and stop him escaping and he tagged me and I actually felt it, whereas when they were born I didn't feel their tags at all. Note, this was after failed feeding attempts and I'm now not touching him for a while to give him space to calm down).

I think the deli cup might be what I try next though. Thank you for advice.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
BLKfly
If it makes you feel better we have ruffly over 90 babies so far and probably more than half haven't eaten yet lol. You can try boiled mice, live, brained, small container feeding, scented, ive seen small fish like tetra's work, washing your pinkies with dawn, rubbing the pinkies in mouse bedding to strengthen the smell(kinda falls under scented), tease feeding(booping them until they get irritated enough to strike at it). If worst comes to worst, assist feeding and force feeding are sometimes required, but don't get to hasty, you got about 6 weeks after first shed until that happens. I start getting a little nervous if they haven't eaten by then. Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:24 AM   #7
Rich Z
Sometimes a whole line of corns can be problems.

I don't know if many people remember, but the original line of "Blood Reds" used to be son-of-a-guns to get feeding. And the original line of "Stripes" used to have a nasty habit of just rolling over dead not long after being hatched. Fortunately those nasty traits were eventually selectively bred out of them.

But it is not impossible that those negative traits could resurface at any time.

Have you tried live pinks? Normally every year when babies hatched I always started them off on live pinks, as it seemed that most would not be interested in frozen/thawed as the first meal. As a second meal, sure, many would go right on them, but it was a procedure I had to go through weaning them off of live and onto frozen/thawed, that with some individuals was rather trying of my patience. And there were some that just would not go for frozen/thawed at all.

Oh yeah, I put all babies immediately into deli cups, as that was likely beneficial as the baby snake and pinky mouse were in close proximity the entire time. I believe ate the pinky just because it pissed them off and once they bit it, then the feeding response took over. Slap feeding and tease feeding basically do the same thing. Tedious and time consuming as hell, but it often worked.

And of course, there were some babies that weren't interested in anything other than anoles.

Then there were those that didn't seem to be interested in eating anything I ever offered them and seemed determine to just die.

This stuff can be a real challenge sometimes. Can't say I miss those sorts of disappointments all that much.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
J.Catherine
Their father was a carolina and their mother was a ghost...most of them look anery, with one hypo or wild (I'm bad at telling). Could it be a trait issue?

Some of them have actually tagged a pinkie, but it was an anger tag rather than a feeding response. Nothing took over and they didn't continue to swallow it. One actually tagged the pinkie a few times.

Also, unfortunately I can't get live food in the UK. Nowhere sells it. It's a nightmare for cases like this. Same with anoles and basically, any feeders that aren't rodents, birds or bugs.

Now one of them has got a small injury looking thing on his tail...no idea what it is and I'm now worried about it...he didn't have it before he was separated from the clutch, so it isn't inflicted by another snake, and his tub is 30 deg c on the hot side (constant temp checks)...

Another topic, or have you guys got any ideas? Pics bellow, but you can't see much from the pictures.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
J.Catherine

Old 09-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
Twolunger
That small injury looks like part of a shed. Can't tell from the picture, but if it is a shed causing a constriction in the tail you need to remove it quickly. The easiest way is to place the corn in a shallow container of water. The water should not be very hot. If you have a thermometer get the water heated to about 82-85 degrees. If it feels warm to you it is probably too hot. When the tail is thoroughly soaked, about 15-20 minutes, let the corn slither through a wet rag and the shed will roll off the end of the tail. If it is stubborn, use your fingernail to get it loose.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google