CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Kingsnake question

Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
waldo
Kingsnake question

Picked up my first kingsnake from a big box store. It was just listed as a florida king, they were calling it the pinky one.
Can any tell me anything about it besides its a albino? I can't figure out if its a brooks or what. I'd like to have some idea what it may look like as a adult.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Twolunger
If you look on Fauna Classifieds you will see a lot of color morphs of the Florida Kings. Some are real beauties. It seems as though few people claim Brooksi are a separate subspecies of Florida Kings anymore, but instead say they are locality kings, usually from Dade County. The only kings I have found in SW Florida resemble Eastern Kings, mostly black with thin bands. Yours is a very nice king. If I didn't have so many snakes already I would have bought a pair of the ones they call Jelly kings or Peanut Butter kings.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Dragonling
I'm only just beginning to learn floridana morphs, but if I had to guess it's probably a Lavender (T-pos albino). I picked up a little female from a big box store that I originally thought was an Amel White-sided, but I'm thinking Lavender W/S is much more likely.

http://www.sierrasnakes.com/florida-...d-history.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
If I didn't have so many snakes already I would have bought a pair of the ones they call Jelly kings or Peanut Butter kings.
Peanut Butter is basically the king version of Ultra since it's allelic to Amel (T-neg). Jellies are het PB het Amel.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I'm only just beginning to learn floridana morphs, but if I had to guess it's probably a Lavender (T-pos albino). I picked up a little female from a big box store that I originally thought was an Amel White-sided, but I'm thinking Lavender W/S is much more likely.

http://www.sierrasnakes.com/florida-...d-history.html

Peanut Butter is basically the king version of Ultra since it's allelic to Amel (T-neg). Jellies are het PB het Amel.
There's quite a few Florida king breeders down here. I had several chances to buy or trade for some awesome kings. If anything I need to cut back further on my snakes rather than add more. I wear a necklace of garlic when I look at hognose and kings to protect me. I've been on the Sierra website several times. I should probably add Pink Pearl Florida kings to the list that I like.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
waldo
I was reading about the whole brooks/florida thing. Sounds like its a bit of a mess. I'm just labeling her a lavender florida.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
waldo
I'll make sure to post pics of my new hoggie when I get him

Old 03-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Twolunger
I raised hognose for quite a few years, and they are sweet snakes that stay relatively small compared to kings. My favorites were pastel pink albinos and extreme red/purple hoggies. My son had quite a few breeder king snakes and I could have taken my pick, but I liked the corns better I guess. I still like the 50/50 banded Cal kings though.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
waldo
I've never had kings or hognose before. Only corns and balls. I just got home with my little hog, he is adorable. Never seen such a cute snake face before.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
waldo

Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
Twolunger
Cute is how I described mine too. What drove me bonkers was when they went off feed for no apparent reason. I kept a frozen toad on hand and if they refused to eat I just rubbed the mouse on the toad and they couldn't resist. I finally got smarter and rubbed the tongs
I used to feed snakes on the toad and that smell must have lingered a long time because they got one whiff of that and ate the mouse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google