CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Genetics questions? Post here!

Old 09-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
DuxorW
Genetics questions? Post here!

Some of you may know that I am a research scientist by day and my background is in genetics. I know there is already a genetics tutorial, but I am working on a different kind of genetics tutorial on the premise that it is helpful to those learning genetics for the fist time to see concepts explained in more than one way. It will start at the DNA level and move upwards, so it will have more advanced topics, but everything should be understandable to the layperson. It will not only explain the rules of genetics, but WHY things work the way they do, so that the reader has a more conceptual understanding. It is easier to remember facts when you have a conceptual foundation to fit them into.

If you have any question about genetics, feel free to post them here. No question is a dumb question! I can answer them and keep them in mind as I continue to write my genetics guide, so that I can focus more on areas where people struggle or have misunderstandings.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Great idea!!

Old 09-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Great idea!!
Thanks, I hope so!

Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
I can't think of any questions right now, but I find genetics fascinating and I'm very interested to see what you write up.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Dragonling
I'm currently back in school for a BS in biology. My obsession with corn morphs has gotten me thinking about genetics for grad school, but I don't know what job opportunities I might have then. My fear is that I'd be stuck in the most boring research gig and lose all passion for the field. Do you have any advice for me?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
DuxorW
I'd be happy to. I am a tad busy today but I will send you a PM with my thoughts sometime this week.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Dragonling
Awesome! I look forward to it. Thanks so much.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
DuxorW
I wrote this post about possible genetic linkage between lava and charcoal. Don't worry...my genetics tutorial will be much easier to understand than this! And after it, this should make sense!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141727

Old 09-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Tavia
What is the current understanding with sex linkage to the Cinder gene? I was following along and enjoying the discussion on that but then fell way behind and have not been able to clear enough time to dive back in.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
What is the current understanding with sex linkage to the Cinder gene? I was following along and enjoying the discussion on that but then fell way behind and have not been able to clear enough time to dive back in.
It's funny you mention that. I will be getting lots of data from cinder crosses sent to me next week, from het cinder females that produce only male cinders, and from het cinder females that produce both male and female cinders.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google