CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Calico Corn Information?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Nanci
Do they have Texas Rats in South Carolina, though? He's really cool!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
toyah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
The eyes are not normal for either an amel-based or normal corn as the iris is blue and the pupil is like a ruby colored corn. They actually remind me of a leucistic Texas rat snake's eyes. I'm thinking it may be more like a paradox leucistic Texas rat snake and not a calico corn at all.
I have to agree - when I saw the head and eyes I was confused as it doesn't look like a corn to me.

Saying that, it is an extraordinarily beautiful animal.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
lajes
I´m no real expert but is piedbaldism/calico effect not a real mutation more like a desease common to human lupus?
Many of the "pied" corns shows bubbles all over their body instead of the normal of the clutch?!
Think the only piebaldism is the pied sided effect od the diffused gene and these morph think is called snowflake from 05 am i right if not please correct me!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajes View Post
I´m no real expert but is piedbaldism/calico effect not a real mutation more like a desease common to human lupus?
Many of the "pied" corns shows bubbles all over their body instead of the normal of the clutch?!
Think the only piebaldism is the pied sided effect od the diffused gene and these morph think is called snowflake from 05 am i right if not please correct me!
No, pied is a trait that shows up in other animals and is just a simple trait. There are pied ball pythons for example...

Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
Drewby07
I do believe that is a black rat snake, not a corn. A macro shot of the head scalation should confirm the ID

Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
lajes
sry my post was just related to corns not to other species.
think i expressed it incorrectly!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
zeewhiz
the little "eyebrow" scales on the head SCREAM black rat to me... they always look pissed off because of them. either way, its a bad-ass snake, and I want it.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
Drewby07
I agree....I'd like to hear more about the finding of this snake....it doesn't seem likely that an animal like this would survive to adulthood...so if it's truly wild-caught, I'd say this is a VERY rare find!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Nanci
It's just as cool if it's a calico black rat...

Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Shiari
Does anyone know how the name "calico" came to be applied to these snakes? I work with cats, and calico says to me "tri-color", whereas I would be more likely to describe these guys being shown as "torti", being bi-color and without much blotching.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google