CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Calico Corn Information?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #61
richm2778
Wayne's snake may have a bit of leucistic rat snake in it. I know that in the leucy's, as they grow some develop colored scales. Mine, for example, was bought as a stark white Leucy with blue eyes, and she has developed red, orange, black, and yellow scales over the years. In fact, she has a big black patch over her eye. I researched this a bunch back in the day because I was scared she was sick when the spots started popping up. I found out that calicoism has not been proven genetic. Also, the snakes that do exhibit this trait are rare in rat snakes and corns. Also, for some reason, they are usually very difficult to breed, as they tend to not go gravid or not want to mate at all. Most people say calicoism is just an anomaly. I have recently acquired a male leucy that has a pink pattern between his scales, and after he sheds he looks red and pink between white scales. I plan on brumating and trying to breed them this year. Perhaps I will have some interesting hatchlings as a result.

Best wishes with the snake Wayne. He/She is beautiful.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #62
reptile_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm2778 View Post
Wayne's snake may have a bit of leucistic rat snake in it. I know that in the leucy's, as they grow some develop colored scales. Mine, for example, was bought as a stark white Leucy with blue eyes, and she has developed red, orange, black, and yellow scales over the years. In fact, she has a big black patch over her eye. I researched this a bunch back in the day because I was scared she was sick when the spots started popping up. I found out that calicoism has not been proven genetic. Also, the snakes that do exhibit this trait are rare in rat snakes and corns. Also, for some reason, they are usually very difficult to breed, as they tend to not go gravid or not want to mate at all. Most people say calicoism is just an anomaly. I have recently acquired a male leucy that has a pink pattern between his scales, and after he sheds he looks red and pink between white scales. I plan on brumating and trying to breed them this year. Perhaps I will have some interesting hatchlings as a result.

Best wishes with the snake Wayne. He/She is beautiful.
I would like to see pic of your snake. Do you have a profile on reptile geeks?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #63
richm2778
I haven't been on that site before. Send me an e mail address and I will send a pic to you. She is not nearly as speckled as the snake Wayne has, but she is still quite unique.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #64
ForkedTung
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm2778 View Post
I haven't been on that site before. Send me an e mail address and I will send a pic to you. She is not nearly as speckled as the snake Wayne has, but she is still quite unique.
Why don't you just post it here? I'd like to see it and it's relevant to the thread.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #65
richm2778
I will post by tomorrow evening. I will do my best to take a good pic. I am watching the election right now.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #66
richm2778
Ok.... Obama won. Here are some pics.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...1-05e481587aa7

That link ought to show some pics.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #67
richm2778
I am not able to post directly to the thread for some reason. If someone would be kind enough to give me an e mail address, I would be more than happy to send them so they can be posted directly to this thread.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #68
zeewhiz
I agree with Rich... here's a thread of my big male Leucy... he's got the pink inbetween his scales, and a few specs of color here and there.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75279

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #69
richm2778
Here we go

[IMG]www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=48&pictureid=308[/IMG]

[IMG]www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=48&pictureid=308[/IMG]

Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #70
richm2778
I give up. I can't get them to post. Does anyone have an e mail address I can send them to? I posted them to an album on my profile here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google