CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Juvenile with white spot on eye

Old 01-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Kepri
Juvenile with white spot on eye

Hello. I recently acquired a young corn snake that has a strange white spot over its pupil. I soaked her and checked for a stuck eye cap 、but doesn't seem to be it. It moves with the eye. Any idea what it might be? Thanks!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
crackerhead
It might be a cataract which is not uncommon. The animal will function normally. Just keep in mind that it won't have great vision on that side of it's body.

Terri

Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
DeuceRon
That's very interesting. I had no idea that they could get cataracts. Hope it's okay!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
Kepri
Thanks for the reply! I hope that is all it is. I have a vet appointment in a few days and will let you all know.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepri View Post
Thanks for the reply! I hope that is all it is. I have a vet appointment in a few days and will let you all know.
What did your vet find wrong? I am curious because cataracts in young snakes, called juvenile cataracts, are not that common. There are other things that can cause white spots, like abrasions to the eye from rubbing on things in the enclosure. The eye scale, or spectacle, usually protects the cornea, but an abrasion can allow bacteria to affect the eye.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
Kepri
I'm sorry I meant totell you all right away and totally forgot! They think it is a cataract, but to be sure they put her on antibiotic injections every 3 days for a month. It hasn't changed at all since then. She is eating great, pooping and acts just like all my others. She is about to shed and I am interested to see the eye caps come off. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
ArnoTis
Oh my, I'm so sorry for your little snake

Old 01-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Twolunger
Here's hoping it's just a bacterial infection, but a snake can live out its whole life with cataracts. Let us know what happens after the eye caps shed. Are you doing the injections yourself? I had to inject a tortoise with baytril and she didn't like it at all.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
ArnoTis
Well I hate needles for example, I think snakes also don't like them

Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
Kepri
I am doing the injections myself. I hate needles too but I have psoriatic arthritis and have to give myself injections weekly so it isn's hard. I do agree that she doesn't like it but I want to make sure she stays healthy so she is out of luck. ^-^r

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google