CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My enclosures in Progress.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
lumene
My enclosures in Progress.

Well, it's been almost a year for me and my scaley children since we decided they needed a permanent setup that I could clean easily as I cannot do heavy or awkward lifting as required by aquariums and tubs.

Last October, I got in contact with a few people on my island who could build what I was looking for. And I stumbled upon a specialized enclosure builder purely by accident!
I know I could have gotten a faster, and cheaper deal from my friend- but I've been holding out to see what John would produce for me.
I stopped hearing from him in December, after I vetoed a pair of booshelves that I didn't think were wide enough for my largest girl- he popped up in March though with the perfect soloution!

Before:

Now: In Progress.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
lumene
Okay, so Photobucket was being an ass... free service these days...

These are pine wardrobes (freeee!). Yes, Pine is not ideal for snakes- but these will be be painted/water proofed interiors. He's only working on the lighter one at this time.

Dimensions approx 3ftx2ft.

Xenon cabinet pucklights, 20 watt, 12 volt- 120 watts total.

Still no date for completion. But I'm liking what I see!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Straydawg
nice Lumene, those are gonna look great!!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
lumene
Thanks Stray!
I can't wait to have them here with all my babies moved in! Going to be totally worth the price tag. I don't mind the tubs I have now, but I will be so happy to rid myself of lifting anything heavier than waterdishes!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Stefanie
Wow what an awesome Idea! Maybe my husband will let me convert our wardrobe .......... I love these! And it gives me much more room for more snakes than our one glass tank ...!

Now I've seen a lot of other non-tub or -glass enclosures here, and I haven't thought about asking before, but how do you heat these?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
exar15xe
Hey how hot do those lights get? I know that Xenon bulbs can get hot. Looks great. That will look great in a living room and will scare the guest when they think its the tv cabinet lol.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
TheJadeReptile
Quote:
Originally Posted by exar15xe View Post
Looks great. That will look great in a living room and will scare the guest when they think its the tv cabinet lol.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Putty
I had purchased a set of similar lights for my monitor's setup just as a source of light. Didn't need UV etc. I found that they got incredibly warm while not even attached to anything. Needless to say I felt very insecure about leaving them on 12 hours a day and doing so while the house was unattended.

They may have been a different bulb and what not inside but I'd check that out. Then again - I'm nervous about anything electrical running while I'm away.

I like the idea - the pine would look fantastic as a critter setup if it's sealed with a natural semi-transparent sealer. Gives it a darker yellowy look, similar to dried bamboo.

Edit: I just found the set I had bought. They're all 12v 20w so you might want to leave them on for a few minutes and test out the temperature.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
lumene
Hey Guys,

Just wante to let you all know- this is a test setup- will be mantained on a thermostat. And I am home, all day every day to maintain it.

These bulbs will not be as hot as halogens. As far as I know we are Not using heatpads/tape at this time as we want to try a more natural heating source.

These enclosures are beeing built by a Journeyman Zoo Keeper- I think the man knows what he's about!
My babies' new apartments are in fine hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Wow what an awesome Idea! Maybe my husband will let me convert our wardrobe .......... I love these! And it gives me much more room for more snakes than our one glass tank ...!

Now I've seen a lot of other non-tub or -glass enclosures here, and I haven't thought about asking before, but how do you heat these?
I don't know yet, I suppose you could put heat tape, or a heat pad under a sheet of glass. But I will let you know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exar15xe View Post
Hey how hot do those lights get? I know that Xenon bulbs can get hot. Looks great. That will look great in a living room and will scare the guest when they think its the tv cabinet lol.
I don't know yet, we're still in the test phase. He said that the bulbs are 20watts.
Also, I'm probably removing the doors once the setups are in my apartment for complete display. I'll just put them back on before inspections.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Putty
If you intend on keeping the cabinet lights you may not even need a heat source during the day.

I just did a little temp test and after 5 minutes of operation the surface temperature of the lens cover exceeded 310F. Surface reading I got from a piece of select pine at about 2 feet gave me 98ish at the 5 minute mark. The saving factor with these is that most, if not all of the heat generate is pushed out the front(bottom) and generally does not harm whatever surface it is attached to.

Like I said - I was going to instal these in my monitor's vivarium but decided against it. Too much heat for the time I wanted these guys to be turned on for. They would be ok if - like you said - you remove the doors and don't use them as a primary source of light. Having these on for over an hour with a reptile that can touch the surface would invite trouble.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
enclosure, wood