CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corn snake enclosures

Old 04-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #21
jagodzinski
I believe those are these spring loaded fake bamboo things. They work like a tension rod, I have seen them at some Petstores before.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #22
cinnabunbun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagodzinski View Post
I believe those are these spring loaded fake bamboo things. They work like a tension rod, I have seen them at some Petstores before.
That's them. Levi likes to climb, he's really active when he's not digesting. I also plan on draping a dark cloth on the back side of the tank instead of adhering a background.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #23
jagodzinski
Jag's "home sweet home" She is currently exploring her new branch (lighter color one).

40B aquarium with hinged screen top
Substrate: papertowels

Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
nicolefowler2005
Huh I've never seen those before but I like them!!! Does anyone know if there is a glue that you can safely use inside the viv?

Nicole

Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #25
jagodzinski
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFvanWyk View Post
Concern taken care of. We got a new home for Whisper AND Tequila. 1000(L) x 600(H) x 400(D) About 50% of both sides are slotted ventilation. About 80% of the top is meshed ventilation. Temperature on the warm side (Right) is 27 C and the cold side (Left) is 20 C. Unfortunately I have not bought a humidity meter yet. There is no lighting yet.

Tequila is Whisper's brother OR sister (Have not had them sexed yet). Tequila's parents does not have space for her yet. We have moved all the furniture into their new home, so the old home first needs to be decorated.
In any case I include a picture of the new home. Now most probably ANOTHER concern. Even at this age, (8 weeks) is cohabitation a problem? They used to sleep together in a hole in the rock, now however since the new home Tequila sleep in the log and Whisper in the rock.

The heating pad is under the right hand side of the viv. Any suggestions on how we can improve their living conditions would be appreciated.

Francois
Setup looks good - but cohabbing is generally very bad (especially when they are little). There are some threads on here you can search for as to why, but my recommendation would be to separate them ASAP.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #26
jagodzinski
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Huh I've never seen those before but I like them!!! Does anyone know if there is a glue that you can safely use inside the viv?

Nicole
If you want it to be permanent - you can use aquarium sealant, but I believe it takes 24+ hours to seal so snakies will need to be temporarily rehomed. And although I have never personally used it, I have read in multiple places that hot glue is safe - you could try doing a search for it.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #27
cinnabunbun
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post

Nicole
I got mines from LLL Reptiles for a good price. Here's an Amazon Link, https://akari.in/kKvv/e8f56b I'll be honest, they look so fake for bamboo, but as long they serve their purpose, then I'm happy. I have my plants cover them slightly.

Everyone's vivs are so pretty x-x; Hopefully mines will be able to be comfortable for my noodle!

Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #28
CornySnakeUser
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFvanWyk View Post
In any case I include a picture of the new home. Now most probably ANOTHER concern. Even at this age, (8 weeks) is cohabitation a problem? They used to sleep together in a hole in the rock, now however since the new home Tequila sleep in the log and Whisper in the rock.

Francois
How long have they been together?

Logically:

Corn snakes are most likely to each each other at birth or when introduced. However, any stress could cause hostility. If either seems aggressive, irritated or stressed, separate them ASAP. They can be very social if they choose, but separating them and then bringing them back together is a major no no. If either is acting strangely or not feeding properly, definitely separate them

Being together increases happiness and bonding, but it can also be risky. If they compete for anything, they may fight. Make sure you have two water dishes, heat sources, and etc. and feed them in two separate places.

Overall, it's a risky thing which you have to carefully watch. People who cohab don't watch for warning signs closely, as they tend to not research them closely until something goes wrong. While risky, it can also increase the lifespan, happiness, and quality of life of your pets.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #29
axis1
Cohabitation Warning!

As someone who cohabbed my 3 adult corns for 8 years with no problems (or so I thought), I recently separated them about a week ago, on 4/24/16, as a result of feedback I received on this site and research which lead me to the following article:

http://squamishserpents.ca/care-info...-one-enclosure

I strongly recommend it, as I kept my corns co-habbed for the last year while I continued to get advice on other issues such as breeding and despite sporadically coming across info that indicated that cohabitation was probably not in my snakes best interests. I mean, my 3 adult corns were purchased as hatchings together, have lived together for 8 years, have successfully bred (I have 2 males & 1 female resulting in 3 gorgeous hatchings last summer), and are all apparently healthy! That is, until I discovered the 2 males either attempting to mate or actually fighting!

Now that they are all in their own enclosures, including the surviving hatchling who is now 9 months old (sadly, 2 others didn't survive), I have four, stress-free and hopefully happy snakes!

For those who cohab their snakes, remember that they can't tell you how they "feel." And just because 2 snakes (or 3, in my case) appear to be "cuddling," they MIGHT just be competing for the best or warmest spot in the viv! This last point made by that article was the point that won ME over, though after my 2 males were going at it, I knew there was a problem! And after 8 years, I now wonder, in retrospect, what I might have missed!

Hope this sheds some light on the issue being discussed.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #30
CornySnakeUser
axis, quite frankly, if the female was the most temperamental, it may have been that the two males were just very close. I would say you did the right thing, especially if they were acting up. That article highlights some of the high risks, which usually are most immediate when they are introduced as adults. Sometimes, they might actually be "cuddling," which is a method of bonding through touch for most animal relationships. If any of your snakes seem particularly stressed after leaving the others, have them to where they can see their former cage mates, through one way glass if necessary.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
enclosure, setup