CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Tub Enclosure Questions + Set Up

Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #1
cinnabunbun
Tub Enclosure Questions + Set Up

My stuff finally comes in this morning, then I can start construction!

What I got so far.
- 15 qt Sterilite Latch Tub + binder clips
- Zoomed ReptiTherm UTH Mini
- HydroFarm Thermostat http://amzn.com/B000NZZG3S
- Accurite http://amzn.com/B0013BKDO8
- Borrowed Soldering Gun
- Also bought luggage straps, just in case.

I did alot of research and tutorials on how to construct a Snake tub and I was thinking about keeping my future corn in a tub until it is an adult and invest in a decent glass enclosure (been eyeing that Zilla's Critter Cages.)

I bought a 15 qt tub because I'm planning to get a juvenile corn to start with, how long can I keep it there until I need to move up to 20 gal or 36-41qt tub? So I can save up and plan ahead.

Next question. I saw that some people who has the stick on UTHs, they place it on a melamine panel and then put the tub over it to receive heat. It's to make it easier to move the enclosure out for cleaning or rearranging. Is that okay for tub set up? Regarding the size of the UT, I'm afraid it might not be able to provide enough heat. I do have a space heater in my room.

Lastly, how deep should be bedding be? Everyone said corns like to burrow so I would like to know how much is good for them to dig around.

Sorry for the really really long and wordy post. I'd like to make sure I don't mess up or so!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
Dragonling
I intend to keep my juvies in 15qt until they're around 150g or so, possibly longer. I put a sub-100g corn in a 36qt and it just looks hilariously big. She rarely uses the space, and even when she cruises around, I only see evidence of movement along the back most of the time.

As for the UTH, I would just stick it to foil. Depth of bedding depends on what you use. I only provide a single hide in my tubs so I keep the sani-chip deep enough for burrowing depending on the size of the snake. Just make it about as deep as their widest point.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
cinnabunbun
Alrighty, I'll apply foil to the UTH, and I'll run by Home Depot for some foil tape. Gotta find another use for this wooden panel now hah. So I would also need to pick up a decent scale for the corn too.

I was planning to use Aspen as it's more suitable, because I think paper towels look kind of funny, though it has it's uses. Is it okay to put a layer of paper towels and then an inch of aspen over it?

I really wish I had an idea how big juvis are so I can prepare hides for them. I seen baby corns before when I was at LLL Reptiles here in my city, and they look, REALLY tiny. Do you think juvis can fit in Toilet rolls and single yogurt cups?

(Btw, I seen your corns, Dragonling and they're all really pretty!)

Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
cinnabunbun
Here is my setup at the moment. I'm sorry for the double posting.

Cool side is left (75F), warm side is right (around 79-82F) Ventilation holes are on the top left and right sides only.

My humidity is high because it's raining over here. Is this okay? Or should I wait until it's clear over where I am for a better reading of, everything really?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
cinnabunbun
Pic didn't show up oops!

http://imgur.com/k3y9q9y

Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Warm side of 79 to 82 is not warm enough. Warm side should be 83 to 88. Most of us try for about 85.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
cinnabunbun
Okay I'll try to do that. I had my thermostat probe tape on my UTH and it's not giving me enough warmth for the warm side. Is there a possible way for me to put the probe inside the tub? I'm afraid it'll get knocked all over the place even if i tried to slip it under the paper towel + aspen.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Karl_Mcknight
There's nothing wrong with the way you have it already, but you need to measure the actual temp inside the tub with a hand held infrared thermometer.

I actually have to set my heat pad to about 91 degrees. The heat pad itself is 91 degrees, but when you measure the temp inside the cage bottom it's about 85 by the time the heat comes through the glass and the carpet.

The important temp is what the actual glass inside the cage measures, not what the thermostat or UTH measures.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
cinnabunbun
Okay I'll try to adjust that then. I'm sorry I get really nervous about asking questions and such. The humidity inside measures about 74%, Should I make more holes?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Karl_Mcknight
yes more holes. Humidity should be about 40% to 50%

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
enclosure, husbandry, setup