CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Tub Enclosure Questions + Set Up

Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
cinnabunbun
Hrm correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a little hard to adjust the humidity over here. It's been really humid in SoCal. I added a new row of holes on the front now. and it lowered it a little. It'll be around 34% this Saturday, so I might be able to have a better control. I'll be getting my snake on the 23rd so I still have time to adjust. Temperature is fine now, going with Karl's UTH suggestion. I have a temp gun and that's what I've been using to measure out the temp.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:32 AM   #12
mishima25
Don't worry about that humidity if then it goes down when it stops raining. On my first months with Naga it was a rainy winter and I had like 70-80% for some days. I was so worried, I ventilated the room a lot, but could not change it. Then the rain stopped, and it has since been in the 50-60%. Then I also had a small tub and humidity builds up more because the water dish was smaller and closer to the UTH.
You can safely make like 3 rows of that ventilation holes without worries, since corns only need room humidity, not like tropical species.
Another tip to help with the viv size is that when the snake measures the same as the front + 1 side of the viv it's time to go up. If you keep this in mind it will not lack space to stretch.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #13
cinnabunbun
It can get dry down here, but that seems to be an easy fix. I'll plop more holes and leave it at that. Thank you for your suggestion and easing my worries a bit hah.

Is my current set up okay? I feel it looks a little dodgy, its hard to see but there's a empty roll of t-p in the back behind the fake plant. Hope it's good enough to make my corn comfy. I have been planning out it's permanent home though.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 AM   #14
mishima25
In general the setup looks ok. You can add more toilet paper rolls if you feel like it. Snake will appreciate lots of hiding places.
Otherwise, the water bowl will probably end up turning. Do you have one with straight sides, not diagonal? A ceramic ashtray might do the thing.
And I know I might be pointy in this (for safety), but the white hide, the one made from a cut cup, seems sharp and may actually cut the snake, be careful with that. You can also use empty cereal boxes or some other small carton box. I hope this helps you.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:31 AM   #15
cinnabunbun
It's a ceramic creme Brulee dish hah. I can pick a heavier bottom dish. And yeah its a badly cut out yogurt cup. I got more cups I can probably cut out a much neater one. Most of the cardboard stuff I have are too big for the intended juvi. But I can try to improvise more. The water dish is buried in the aspen.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #16
Dragonling
You can use your soldering iron to cut a smooth hole in the side of a cup by dragging it slowly in a circle. The creme brulee dish will probably be fine, it should be heavy enough and flat enough to not tip, though a higher-sided bowl will be easier to refill without spilling water into the aspen. I use round pyrex glass containers as water bowls since they are heavy, difficult to flip over, easy to disinfect, and tougher to break. 1 cup bowls should be perfect for a small hatchling, though my 12g boy has a 2 cup and can get in and out of it just fine.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
DollysMom
FYI, you can also sand holes you cut in plastic to smooth them. Even a soldering iron can leave some plastic points sometimes (ask me how I know). I've found a Dremel tool makes sanding go faster, but you still need to finish with a quick hand sanding.

If you don't want to invest in sand paper, I've used emery boards (nail files) when I didn't have sand paper handy. They can be used to smooth out any rough plastic.

Also check any commercial hides you may get. They can have sharp points, too.

Your set up is looking good. Best wishes.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #18
cinnabunbun
A bit of a late reply but thank you everyone for your advice and info! One more week until I find me a corn! I can ask for some sandpaper from my mom's work/my old workplace and keep it around (We worked at a plastic fabrication company). I'll have to hit up my dollar store for more stuff than as my new friend grows! So far I added more holes, and with the weather's humidity going down, I hope it'll be good.

How much mice should I stock up for 6 months to a year for a single corn? I can hardly find any answers on that x_x;

Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #19
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabunbun View Post
How much mice should I stock up for 6 months to a year for a single corn? I can hardly find any answers on that x_x;
If he's not too small (like under 9-10g) 50 medium/large pinks will probably last you until he's ready for fuzzies. At least that has been my experience. I just rearranged them by size and give the smallest medium pinks first, moving on to the larger ones later, then doubling those right before switching to fuzzies if there are enough.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #20
cinnabunbun
Okay I'll pick up some feeders when I hit up the Expo. Cool side is now 78F, Warm side 84-86F, Humidity is around 40%!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
enclosure, husbandry, setup